Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobia_slayer

6500 CS or TC?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Which one for throwing 2-5oz bucktails for cobes and stripers? I have a 6' St. Criox Premiere 2-6oz 20-65lb XH. I started out with a 7000i but its top big and I wanna down grade a little.

View PostWhich one for throwing 2-5oz bucktails for cobes and stripers? I have a 6' St. Criox Premiere 2-6oz 20-65lb XH. I started out with a 7000i but its top big and I wanna down grade a little.

I have the same rod with a 7000C3. I use it the breachways here in RI. I would never downgrade to a 6500 where I fish at. However, fishing for Cobia headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif you may what to try any 6500 with bearings. My time spent in the south I burned up many a 6500 and 5500 on those darn fish. They are one heck of a strong fighter with longer runs than Bfish or Albies/Bonita. I would suggest changing out the drag washers with those sold on this site.

I would never fish with either the 5500 or 6500 for cobia. I have hooked a cobia while fishing for Pompano with both and didn't stand a chance if the cobia was of any size at all..

I would use a 7000 or a large spinning reel. JMHO C2

I know... Kinda crazy sounding, but I'm known to use light tackle. I thought most abus come with smoothies now? I figure if I can stop a 70lb Ray with a 5600C4 I can stop a cobe with a 6500 using braid pc of course.

View PostI know... Kinda crazy sounding, but I'm known to use light tackle. I thought most abus come with smoothies now? I figure if I can stop a 70lb Ray with a 5600C4 I can stop a cobe with a 6500 using braid pc of course.

6500CS Rocket comes with the carbonex drag washers, should not have a problem stopping them.We fish for Shark up to 60lbs using these reels without problems.. The TC gear ratio is too high to pull those larger fish, in my opinion. Fighting Rays on a C4 must have been one hell of an arm work out.

If your gonna be on a pier i wouldn't suggest it i used to use the exact combo that your talking about and lost 2 big cobia off frisco due to it. In a boat with no structure around go for it.

The 6500CS rocket is the exact one I was looking at, but wondered about the TC because its cheaper.

Yea it was fun on a 8' jiggin rod lol.

Kent...

I will always have a slightly bigger spinning rod for those lone giants.

Get a Cs with a chrome frame, it's stronger than a TC with an aluminum frame. If your gonna go the 6500 route.smile.gif

And get a power handle, it'll help.

CS, get a CS(levelwind) not a CT(non-levelwind). The last thing you want to worry about when you are trying to get a long cast back is, is the line level for the next cast. The distance you might loose, will be made up for the hassle you won't have.

View PostGet a Cs with a chrome frame, it's stronger than a TC with an aluminum frame. If your gonna go the 6500 route.smile.gif

And get a power handle, it'll help.

oh i got my connections to reel parts wink.gif

View PostCS, get a CS(levelwind) not a CT(non-levelwind). The last thing you want to worry about when you are trying to get a long cast back is, is the line level for the next cast. The distance you might loose, will be made up for the hassle you won't have.

no worry there, im not as good as the pluggers that can crank and level the line at the same time