Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

In the mood for softshells - pros/cons of frozen softshells?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Depends where you get them, and how they were treated....I get softshells in Hatteras that have been cleaned, vacuum packed, and flash frozen, and they are always icon14.gif.....but they come from the guy that catches them.......

Have gotton frozen soft shells in a market in Boston, and they sucked.

Have gotten frozen softshells years ago in a small fish market in Duxbury (not there anymore), and they were always fair to good.

View PostDepends where you get them, and how they were treated....I get softshells in Hatteras that have been cleaned, vacuum packed, and flash frozen, and they are always icon14.gif.....but they come from the guy that catches them.......

Have gotton frozen soft shells in a market in Boston, and they sucked.

Have gotten frozen softshells years ago in a small fish market in Duxbury (not there anymore), and they were always fair to good.

In my case, they'd be coming from a crab supplier in Del Marva Maryland

Guy sells crabs whenever he can get em and I believe he's a crabber there too

I was going to roll the dice and see how they were, especially since he seems to be a "source provider", so to speak

and yes, these are cleaned, shrink wrapped, and quick frozen which sounded good as well

View PostIn my case, they'd be coming from a crab supplier in Del Marva Maryland

Guy sells crabs whenever he can get em and I believe he's a crabber there too

I was going to roll the dice and see how they were, especially since he seems to be a "source provider", so to speak

and yes, these are cleaned, shrink wrapped, and quick frozen which sounded good as well

In that case, I would say go for it....

No pro's, well, maybe cost. I paid 32$ for a dozen frozen, and $3.50 a piece fresh in NC in the summer. Like bait, no substitute for fresh.

The fresh ones have more flavor and are usually softer than the frozen ones, they must save the best for fresh sale. All in all though, the frozen ones do not suck, are usually neatly packaged, and a couple sauteed fill the craving. I'm out as of now and wish I had some frozen ones.

"Handy's" are good as far as a commercial product goes, but I freeze my own. Buy them in June, during the first big shed, cleaned and dressed, four to a quart Ziplock surrounded by water, freeze flat. I'll usually put up a least a couple of dozen.

It's become a tradition around this time of year to go to the cabin, build fires so hot you can walk around in your skivvies, eat fried soft crabs, watch taped baseball games (the O's always win) and pretend it's summer!

Reed....always looking for a new source......smile.gif

I can get fresh, live ones at Fresh Catch in Mansfield from about Mother's Day thru mid-June, and then again another small flurry in August, but they have been $$$$$ the last few years (like $6, $7 EACH).....can also around the same times get them fresh, live from Roche Brothers, usually $2.99 each, which is a bit more palatable price.....but there ya gotta hit it on the right day when they first come in, as they only get deliveries like 3-4 times a week, and softshells don't keep fresh for long.

View Post"Handy's" are good as far as a commercial product goes, but I freeze my own. Buy them in June, during the first big shed, cleaned and dressed, four to a quart Ziplock surrounded by water, freeze flat. I'll usually put up a least a couple of dozen.

It's become a tradition around this time of year to go to the cabin, build fires so hot you can walk around in your skivvies, eat fried soft crabs, watch taped baseball games (the O's always win) and pretend it's summer!

so instead of taking the air out of the zip lock (ala shrink wrapped), you're adding enough water to basically create a frozen 'patio block' ?

And this works well for ya ?

It just throws me a bit, cause I thought the absence of air and just the food item was to be in the frozen packet headscratch.gif

View Post"Handy's" are good as far as a commercial product goes, but I freeze my own. Buy them in June, during the first big shed, cleaned and dressed, four to a quart Ziplock surrounded by water, freeze flat. I'll usually put up a least a couple of dozen.

Salt water???

View PostReed....always looking for a new source......smile.gif

I can get fresh, live ones at Fresh Catch in Mansfield from about Mother's Day thru mid-June, and then again another small flurry in August, but they have been $$$$$ the last few years (like $6, $7 EACH).....can also around the same times get them fresh, live from Roche Brothers, usually $2.99 each, which is a bit more palatable price.....but there ya gotta hit it on the right day when they first come in, as they only get deliveries like 3-4 times a week, and softshells don't keep fresh for long.

I've noticed Legal Seafoods fish market in Chestnut Hill to have them. I'm not sure the dates they have them in but most all the fish in the legal market is primo, of course it comes with the Legal Seafoods price tag as wellsmile.gif But for my money the wild salmon there is the best around.

View Postso instead of taking the air out of the zip lock (ala shrink wrapped), you're adding enough water to basically create a frozen 'patio block' ?

And this works well for ya ?

It just throws me a bit, cause I thought the absence of air and just the food item was to be in the frozen packet headscratch.gif

Been doin it like this for 30+ years, seems to work OK

I've also shed a few crabs myself, but not commercially.

Slightly salty water, works good with pan fish also. The frozen water/lack of air precludes freezer burn, just enough water to cover em.