Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HatterasJack

Instead of handing over $ to the Big Three - isn't this a helluva lot better ?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Incentives boost German car sales

_45263431_vw226.jpg Domestic car sales are up but exports are down

Sales of new German cars jumped by almost a quarter in February, as a cash bonus for scrapping old cars encouraged consumers to buy new ones.

Car sales rose by 22% compared with the same month last year as total sales hit their highest level for 10 years. The main reason is a 2,500-euro ($3,143; £2,236) government incentive for car owners to get rid of their old vehicle and buy a new replacement.

This is like a no-brainer ! cwm40.gif

What kind of idiots are running Washington ?

This doesn't just help the Big Three, it helps everybody!

View PostIncentives boost German car sales

_45263431_vw226.jpg Domestic car sales are up but exports are down

Sales of new German cars jumped by almost a quarter in February, as a cash bonus for scrapping old cars encouraged consumers to buy new ones.

Car sales rose by 22% compared with the same month last year as total sales hit their highest level for 10 years. The main reason is a 2,500-euro ($3,143; £2,236) government incentive for car owners to get rid of their old vehicle and buy a new replacement.

This is like a no-brainer ! cwm40.gif

What kind of idiots are running Washington ?

This doesn't just help the Big Three, it helps everybody!

that IS a good idea

It helps them survive a little longer til the Gov incentives runs out but it doesn't force them to change their business model. It won't solve all the issues they have including the biggest, a bad stigma of cars that are cheaply made and fall apart...

I don't have any issues with my F150 so you know. I think the American cars are every bit as good as the foreign cars in their respective classes....It's gonna take a long time for people who abandoned American cars to think anything different than they are POS's.

When you look around at other car makers All of them are struggling to sell cars in this environment. Incentives will work for some company's who are only experiencing a downturn in sales, not company's that are experiencing a possible bankruptcy because of years of mismanagement.... Even Toyota isn't selling enough cars to make a profit right now. The only difference between Toyota and GM is that Toyota is sitting on 200 billion in cash.....Because they have MADE money the past 15 years and have saved it...

John

If they want to subsidize me to buy another VW, I'm in!!

Believe France has been doing this as well. Kind of a twof-er since they want to get the older polluters off the road as well. Not sure if works here, Germans own older cars, average abt 8 years I think. Not sure we have enough people here with cash,. credit and also still drive an old car.

View Postthat IS a good idea

No, it isn't. The average consumer, at this time would be beyond stupid to take on another loan, that is if they could get one.

Jezeeee people, 'stupid' borrowing got us in this mess, and you want to encourage more borrowing?

View PostNo, it isn't. The average consumer, at this time would be beyond stupid to take on another loan, that is if they could get one.

Jezeeee people, 'stupid' borrowing got us in this mess, and you want to encourage more borrowing?

owning a car to get back and forth is a necessity

folks with questionable credit situations wouldn't even get loans

View Postowning a car to get back and forth is a necessity

folks with questionable credit situations wouldn't even get loans

Sorry, owning a 'new' car is NOT a 'necessity'. 'Giving' 3-4 Grand toward the purchase of a 'New' Automobile WILL encourage 'stupid borrowing'.

View PostSorry, owning a 'new' car is NOT a 'necessity'. 'Giving' 3-4 Grand toward the purchase of a 'New' Automobile WILL encourage 'stupid borrowing'.

two different issues

but, realize "owning a new car is NOT a necessity", but for the vast majority of our population, owning a car is a necessity (if you disagree, please tell us all where the mass transit is located wink.gif )

View Post Jezeeee people, 'stupid' borrowing got us in this mess, and you want to encourage more borrowing?

SOOOOO...

why are the Banksters telling us the economy needs

to make more credit available? That it's a credit crunch that

brought the economy to it's knees?

Seems to me that encouraging more debt (making credit available)

would be downright irresponsible. We all know Banksters will take those

new lines of credit, liabilities, and repackage them as a great investment!

Wooohooo, borrow MORE, buy a new car, we're on the road to recovery icon14.gif

"why are the Banksters telling us the economy needs

to make more credit available?"

Credit is not just about borrowing money and planning to pay it back over 10-30 years. A lot of big company's depend on simple 30 day credit lines to pay employees, pay for goods, and the cost of doing business....

That's what I find crazy when they talk about needing more credit in the market. Yes, we need credit but really we're talking about keeping short to mid term credit open for use so that business can flow. Long term credit for cars, houses, colleges, etc is really only needed when the market is outpacing earnings....And right now I do not believe we need anymore long term credit...We've been saturated in it.

John

View PostThat's what I find crazy when they talk about needing more credit in the market. Yes, we need credit but really we're talking about keeping short to mid term credit open for use so that business can flow. Long term credit for cars, houses, colleges, etc is really only needed when the market is outpacing earnings....And right now I do not believe we need anymore long term credit...We've been saturated in it.

Would you say that the need for short-mid term credit is related

to an economy that encourages spending and not savings?

Is that why GM and Toyota are in very different economic situations?

One made-n-saved money and one wasted it?

"Would you say that the need for short-mid term credit is related

to an economy that encourages spending and not savings?"

I'm not sure on that. A lot of times especially with a small business the way the tax system is setup it is too your advantage to spend your profits on needed equipment or other business type needs. That way you don't pay taxes on the profit because it's not really a profit. So in a system like that a lot of times company's are operating using a credit line.

Talking with some of the vendors we see where I work the amount they are allowed to be leveraged through credit has dramatically shrunk. One vendor was telling me they used to be allowed to borrow 7 times the amount they had in their bank account. That number has now shrunken to 3 times the amount they have in the bank. Now, your used to being able to bring in product with X amount of dollars and now you don't have "X" amount of dollars. You now have 3/7th of what you used to have to spend. You can try to add to your savings account to up the amount you can borrow but a lot of times that just isn't an option or it takes an extended period of time to buildup enough savings to get back to a normal credit line amount.

I can tell you the 2 week period last Sep/Oct where the bailout was being passed around almost all our customers including the larger ones were frozen on any credit. They all stopped ordering and had those bailouts not gone through I don't believe they would have been able to start ordering again....As soon as it passed it was like everything went back to normal......

John

View Post

Is that why GM and Toyota are in very different economic situations?

One made-n-saved money and one wasted it?

Absolutely not!

they are in very different economic situations because one has the UAW and one does not