Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IgotWood

Favorite trout fly???

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

If you could fill a fly box for trout with only one fly in but in several sizes...what would it be? To help out a little bit...lets say it's April or May.

It would be REALLY tough for me to decide between rusty spinner, elk hair caddis or a pheasent tail. I think I might lean towards the rusty spinner. I would fill a box with #10's-#22's. I mostly fish the Housatonic and Farmington rivers where there are plenty of hendrickson's, march browns, brown darkes, and BWO's. All of which warrant a rusty spinner.

I would fill my box with various sizes of a soft hackle. You can fish it as a nymph, a small streamer or swing it as an emerger...... To me it is the most versitle trout fly of them all. Can I tie it in various colors too? If so, I will catch fish during almost ANY hatch. If not I guess I will tie it w/grey body and brown partridge.

HC

View PostI would fill my box with various sizes of a soft hackle. You can fish it as a nymph, a small streamer or swing it as an emerger...... To me it is the most versitle trout fly of them all.

Ding...ding....we have a WINNER. Most of my fish are caught on soft hackles...especially during the emerger phase of a hatch. After all, trout feed under water more than 90% of the time. Great answer HC!!!!

Gee....I am going to cheat and say

Dry: elk hair caddis/ blue wing olive

Wet: light cahill

Nymph: flash back pheasant tail

sorry....but you can't be successful w/o at least one for each condition.

Steve

I would go with a parachute Adams, there is so much you could do to a parachute fly on the stream with a pair of sizzors. It could be a dun, an emerger, and a spinner if trimmed right for each stage. You could even rub dirt on it darken it a little. But if I had to survive I would go with a bugger, or muddler.

Light Cahill dry. I know more fish feed below the surface but for some reason I catch more on this fly than any other. If the fish are not taking it off of the surface I'll skip the floatant and let it get below the film.

On top and in the film, elk hair caddis, a couple of colors (light to dark). Once the caddis gets good and chewed up, it works great subsurface with a bit of split shot.

Sub surface, black dubbed ant or a grey and peacock nymph (gray dubbed body w/ peacock herl head)

I carry a million others, but those are the ones that catch fish.

View Postsmile.gif A fly called a Cooper Bug.Works all over any time..Out west ,North and East.Trust me,this is from 50yrs experience.wink.gif

Just looked this up!

I see it is a variation of The Devil Bug, which is a hot fly, and I have used both apparently. Definitely a very effective fly.drool.gif