Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed422

Slow Cooker Vs. Oven

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

As I was freezing some fish chowder tonight I glanced up above my sink and saw my slow cooker looking mighty lonely. I barley ever use the thing. I have a pork butt marinating in a rub and plan on doing it in the oven at about 200-220 for probably 12 hours. I know I know smoker, but I live in a apt so that's out.

So....Slow Cooker Vs. Oven - Discuss.

View PostDry heat-oven.

Don't boil all the yummy out of it

Internal temp of 190.

Buy a house!

Dry heat really? I was going to braise in apple cider vinegar.

Do it in the crock and you wont have to worry about watching it.Just make sure you cut the vinegar with some water and cover it up almost to the top of the roast.After its done you can pull it and add your sauce.

I typically go with the crock pot and get great results. I'll usually rub the entire shoulder with a BBQ dry rub and then add some sort of flavored beer to the crock pot. 10 hours later remove the shoulder pull the meat and place everything in a oven safe dish. In the dish I'll mix the meat with about a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays and bake for about 10-15 minutes at a real high heat. This produces outstanding pulled pork.

The lady that does my wifes nails told her this GREAT recipe where she cooks a shoulder in the KroQ pot with kraut and apple juice. So my wife makes it. Yup...tastes like what I image cat food would taste like.

I actually retched.

To do a pork butt in the crock pot, you can stick it in there with nothing.

Just rub it with olive oil, garlic, S&P and any favorite spices or herbs.. Go easy, and let her rip on low.

It will be ridiculously melty and good.

I would never add liquidshakehead.gif

I think I'll just stick with the way I have been doing it. Been marinating in a BBQ rub for a day and a half. Seared on all sides for some crispiness. In the oven with some apple cider vinegar (I don't usually cut it too much because it produces a natural jus that I can let it marinate in). Put her in the oven when I leave for work and pull when I get home.

Very good for shoulder...just need to do it right.

Sear for about 3-4 minutes a side in a vary hot pot before going in to slow cooker...I find there really isn't much of a need to really gussie up what goes in the cooker while it cooks....the key for me is after it done, take it out...drain all the liquid out of the cooker and seperate the fat off...reduce what's left and use that as a the basis for your sauce. Put the pulled shoulder back into the cooker on low/warm and add your sacue when done...give that another 30-40 minutes and you should be fine as frog hair.

View PostVery good for shoulder...just need to do it right.

Sear for about 3-4 minutes a side in a vary hot pot before going in to slow cooker...I find there really isn't much of a need to really gussie up what goes in the cooker while it cooks....the key for me is after it done, take it out...drain all the liquid out of the cooker and seperate the fat off...reduce what's left and use that as a the basis for your sauce. Put the pulled shoulder back into the cooker on low/warm and add your sacue when done...give that another 30-40 minutes and you should be fine as frog hair.

Pulled pork stew...yum. skunk.gif

Sorry....not for me.