BassinJ

Understanding a Choopy Needlefish

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Well, I am trying to understand how this needlefish acts. I've heard in a few posts that it sinks slowly, yet I've also heard it floats, and in the video on this website, it is swimming on the top. Do all the three sizes from 5/8oz, 1 1/2oz, and 2oz all do the same thing, or do they have different actions? If so, hows the action different?

Do these needlefish float and swim on the top, or do they sink slowly? Or do they do both? Can you help me understand?

Thank you! cwm15.gif

For the most part, they all sink slowly and float. In my opinion, its pretty much the same thing. Let them sink and they will. Pick up your retrieve and the will come up top quickly and stay there at a slow retrieve. There are differences between them though. These are the basics of how I use them, but there are always exceptions. Don't follow these instructions. Do what makes sense in your local waters and conditions.

5/8 oz: This is a needlefish for the sand. Its good in low water from the bottom of the tide till mid tide and the reverse. It will sit on top, or you can let it sink and fish it in the middle of the water column. I will also use it on the top of the tide casting them into the shallow water coming over the bar. This usually requires relatively calm water. Generally I think it is best in calm to moderate waters. Also, think spearing with this plug. And spearing are everything for NJ fishing from the beach.

1 1/2 oz: This is more general condition needlefish. Works well on the sand and in the deeper waters around jetties. It holds better than the 5/8 oz in more moderate waves or turbulent waters and fishes a bit better around the top of the tide. It will sink faster than the 5/8 oz. It casts well and should reach the bar when you need to. For most rods that are in NJ, this plug can be the sweet spot. The video of this on is taken right up on the top of the water.

2 oz: This one was made for waters with more current or more turblent water. This one sinks faster than the 1 1/2 oz and I think performs best when retrieved 6-8" below the surface, but works well if you let it sink and fish it deeper as well. Its a good needle for when the wind gets in your face, jettie tips, the tide is all the way up and you want to fish deep from the beach or current sweeps. It is about 6" below the surface in the video.

For the most part, the swimming action will happen below the surface on a slow retrieve. However it is very subtle and you will not feel it thumping like a bomber,redfin or metal lip swimmer. If the water you are fishing gets pushy, it most likely will not swim on the top of the surface. It requires a fairly calm surface and a very slow retrieve. In the worse case scenario, you have a typical needlefish in some nice profiles.

I hope this helps explain them and doesn't come across as an infomercial. I have been beyond fortunate that people use them. Hopefully some of them can chime in and explain how they use them, cause I bet its not always the same way that I do.

View Postthey sink slowly (in my experience), and plane up to the top rather quickly with a high rod tip.

......I agree and they catch fish clapping.gifclapping.gif !!!!

Does that "Eel" color work for you both in day and at night? I can see the pic of the bass with the schoolbus pattern choopy was caught at night, but the other two pics are hard to tell.

After I noticed otter at the fling on Saturday.I understand I need a Choopy Sweatshirt.That Tommy Gun guy did a great job designing that.

View PostDoes that "Eel" color work for you both in day and at night? I can see the pic of the bass with the schoolbus pattern choopy was caught at night, but the other two pics are hard to tell.

Colors are a matter of personal preference. I fish the eel color day and night. Schoolbus and darker colors typically just at night. I know some people like schoolbus around dawn and dusk. I would fish the color that you are most comfortable with no matter what style of lure.

View PostHow do you retrieve them? Is it similar to "walking the dog" with a Zara spook or just a retrieve with the occasional twitch?

Straight retrieve with occasional twitches and pauses.

Choopy not only makes an incredible needle which CATCHES, he is committed to your success freely giving specific advice on his creations. I have had the pleasure of going back and forth via PMs when I first started using them. I will never forget my first cast I made with my Choopy needle off of a rock pile. I was totally new to the sport. I think the only wood plug I had at the time was a couple Choopy needles and the rest were plastic. The only plugs/lures I own, I could fit in one plug bag and I still had some room. Well, first cast, FISH ON my Choopy Needle. 3rd cast same thing. Continued a bit more after that with more fish and these were some of my first stripers ever and a memory that will last a long time.

Most experienced guys know that Choopy makes a great needle, beginners, you won't have a better shot at catching a striper with any other needle. Perfect sink rate, tantalizing action, need to take it slow and let it go down in the water column. Try to present as slow as possible and good things will come. I like the middle size. The small is great for early in the season.