Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
colad

Another Rod thread...looking for the best of both worlds

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

biggrin.gifHey all, I have searched and gone through all the rod threads and now have about 200 choices. so I figured I would start my own thread. This is for a rod off my boat preferably 7'. Price range in the area of 150.00

I recently got one of the new Abu 6500 classic inshore reels. Want to mate it to a rod sensitive enough to feel the bergalls but yet still be able to pull up a decent tog (my current setup is a Penn 320LD on a heavy tsunami rod).

1st any thoughts on these reels for fluke, sea bass, toggin?

2nd I would like the rod to be also able to toss/cast here and there to a bluefish school etc if encountered but that is a secondary purpose it will primarily be my fluke, sea bass togging setup....biggrin.gif

Thanks!

PM70MHF $150 St. Croix Premier Musky Rod $150.00 7 foot medium heavy fast action . 20-50 lb line rated for 3/4-3 oz lures . Perfect for what you want it for .

There is one of these in the BST right now.

View PostPM70MHF $150 St. Croix Premier Musky Rod $150.00 7 foot medium heavy fast action . 20-50 lb line rated for 3/4-3 oz lures . Perfect for what you want it for .

Lamiglas TFX 7030CT or the 7040CT would do the trick. The 7030 may be more suitable for your boat. The 7040 is what i fish and its a brute. I have swung tog up to 8lbs with this rod. It is still sensitive as heck.

I think the 20-50lb class is a little over kill IMOP I would go with a 10-20 Loomis,St Croix, I use both 10-20 & 8-17lb & have caught many a Bass in the high 20's Blue's Fluke ETC with no problem. I had a beautiful Loomis GL2 Custom made for $85.00 + Shipping & Choice of Wraps. I also have 6 Chao's Rods I bought for te boat ranging from 6'-7' Spinning & Bait casting.My Favorite is a 7'9" G Loomis Hot Shot 8-17lb but that retails for $235.00. I use it 99% on the boat & it gets out there from the beach with a 6500 all though my Favorite is my Calcutta 400TE

View PostI vouch for the Lami TriFlex 7030CT or 7040T. Either that or a Kevin Bogan's fish poison.

Well if YOU vouch for it,it MUST be good. tongue.gif

I think the 7040 is way to much for fluke. It might be ok for offshore c-bass when you need 14-20ozs. but its a tog rod and a stiff one at that.

Where you gonna fish? The bay,the ocean,shallow,deep all of the above?

For the bay get yourself a $50 rod off the shelf for fluke and/or stripers/bluefish.

Now take that extra hundred and put it aside and add to it till blackfish season opens so you can get a rod just for toggin. If you want you can use the same reel on both rods.

Thanks for the advice...I was hoping for a meld of all to start, knowing it will be a jack of all trades master of none. I think I would rather lean towards a tog rod though since I have spinning gear I could fall back to for the others till I can afford another rod. and I plan on trying for tog in spring and fall.

The new boat has sort of sapped my casheesh!

View PostI think I would rather lean towards a tog rod though since I have spinning gear I could fall back to for the others till I can afford another rod. and I plan on trying for tog in spring and fall.

Well why didn't you say that in the first place.wink.gif

I still think that the 7030 and the 7040 are to much for fluke and stripers. If you're gonna try blackfishing you're gonna get hooked so buy right the first time. If you go with the Lami get the 7030 and use your other stuff for your other fishing.

View Postbiggrin.gifHey all, I have searched and gone through all the rod threads and now have about 200 choices. so I figured I would start my own thread. This is for a rod off my boat preferably 7'. Price range in the area of 150.00

I recently got one of the new Abu 6500 classic inshore reels. Want to mate it to a rod sensitive enough to feel the bergalls but yet still be able to pull up a decent tog (my current setup is a Penn 320LD on a heavy tsunami rod).

1st any thoughts on these reels for fluke, sea bass, toggin?

2nd I would like the rod to be also able to toss/cast here and there to a bluefish school etc if encountered but that is a secondary purpose it will primarily be my fluke, sea bass togging setup....biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Take up Golfwink.gif