Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

What is the Best Knife for Marking Bread Loaves Before Baking??

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hi Guys:

What is the beast knife/tool for marking bread before baking??? I have used a serated paring knife....but it tends to grab the dough and not allways do a good job. A Paring Knife sharpened to a dry shave edge is a bit better, but if its not scary sharp Fugettaboutit!. Some folks claim they like a single edge razor blade (New and Clean I Hope).

I know it sounds like I am obsessing....but these slashes on a bagette make all the differnce in the word between a nice bagette with adequate oven spring and a nice crumb and a lopsided loaf with blown out sides that just isn't right. Those slashes are not just for decoration...they serve a function!

I make baker's lames with chopsticks, safety razors and Krazy Glue

I make the straight one by splitting the end and gluing the blade in - the curved one is made by sawing diagonal notches in the chopstick (with a Ginsu knife) then "springing" the razor into it and gluing. It takes about 5 minutes to make one - when it gets dull I just make another

I've tried single edge...sharp knives...etc - these work the best because when you slash the dough it's the edge of the blade that contacts it. Not the corner of the blade. That corner sometimes pulls the dough instead of cutting it.

View PostI make baker's lames with chopsticks, safety razors and Krazy Glue

I make the straight one by splitting the end and gluing the blade in - the curved one is made by sawing diagonal notches in the chopstick (with a Ginsu knife) then "springing" the razor into it and gluing. It takes about 5 minutes to make one - when it gets dull I just make another

I've tried single edge...sharp knives...etc - these work the best because when you slash the dough it's the edge of the blade that contacts it. Not the corner of the blade. That corner sometimes pulls the dough instead of cutting it.

what is the curved one for? (pardon my ignorance!)