Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brownie

Captiva...need help

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I'm bringing a boat to Captiva afor the month of June to tarpon fish. I will need lots of help to stay current on local information and a reliable place to buy bait. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View PostI'm bringing a boat to Captiva afor the month of June to tarpon fish. I will need lots of help to stay current on local information and a reliable place to buy bait. Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can keep that boat in my drive way!!! Bait, buy a cast net and I will teach you how to use it when we go out tarpon fishing on your boatsmile.gif

View PostI'm bringing a boat to Captiva afor the month of June to tarpon fish. I will need lots of help to stay current on local information and a reliable place to buy bait. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well it's sad to say but no place is "reliable" just because of all the variables. If the wind is blowing the bait boats can't get out, if the demand isn't there it's too costly to order bait that will sit until it dies. A cast net would be a wise investment.

I actually do have a cast net and will probably use it but buying bait would make things easier if it's available and I don't know good bait spots around Captiva since I'm more familiar with Sanibel. Are there any bridges or ditches that tend to hole bait on the bay side? Looks like the boat will be full so I can't really take anyone (maybe once to learn the back).

View PostI actually do have a cast net and will probably use it but buying bait would make things easier if it's available and I don't know good bait spots around Captiva since I'm more familiar with Sanibel. Are there any bridges or ditches that tend to hole bait on the bay side? Looks like the boat will be full so I can't really take anyone (maybe once to learn the back).

Um they are the same island, what are you going on aboutheadscratch.gif So what you really want is to not do any leg work and be hand fed all the information, good luck with that onecwm27.gif

View PostUm they are the same island, what are you going on aboutheadscratch.gif So what you really want is to not do any leg work and be hand fed all the information, good luck with that onecwm27.gif

That's funny.

View PostI actually do have a cast net and will probably use it but buying bait would make things easier if it's available and I don't know good bait spots around Captiva since I'm more familiar with Sanibel. Are there any bridges or ditches that tend to hole bait on the bay side? Looks like the boat will be full so I can't really take anyone (maybe once to learn the back).

If you can find a nice grass flat you can chum up some small pinfish and throw the net. Other option would be run the beach on the gulf side and find some bait in shallow water. Option 3 would be sabiki some bait in the gulf side.

Be nice...it's a loooong island and I'll be heading north to go outside not the southern end which I know better. BTW what's wrong with some "hand feeding"?? Isn't the purpose of these boards to save a tourist from some of the difficult and time consuming legwork. If you come up my way I'll be happy to point you in the right direction wink.gif

Capt Joe...thanks for trying to help. Is there a good resource for what's happening at the moment (like when I get down there) tackle shops or websites that are reliable

View Post

Capt Joe...thanks for trying to help. Is there a good resource for what's happening at the moment (like when I get down there) tackle shops or websites that are reliable

I would suggest any local tackle shop, I don't know if they have one on captiva. Matlache has D&D which is a great place for local info. The bait box on Sanibel is also pretty good from what I've heard.

I'm not an inshore guy so I can't really give you any better info, sorry.