Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bsmith769

Flounder from a yak?

20 posts in this topic

I fish for Flounder from the yak and I hope to be out in the next couple of weeks. I have a yearning for some of those tasty fillets.

I don't use an anchor, I drift and cover a ton of water. If the wind picks up faster then the current I deploy a drift chute but normally I pick my days and get a good slow drift. For the most part I don't need to drift a chum bag but if the bite is slow and I am searching or in a new area I will bring a frozen chum block and drag it on the bottom tied to the kayak and drift fish until I find a good amount of legals hanging in one area. I have used an empty tide bottle to tie a weighted chum bag too so I can get free and do repeated passes over and over again without drag being an issue to the kayak.

Store bought rigs work but I like making my own. My rig is a small conventional reel,6- 7' medium action or MH rod, 15-20lb main line tied direct to a three way. Bottom of three way clip a 2-3oz weight via doulock, 18" leader of 15-20lb mono or flourocarbon to one white bead and one orange bead to Chestertown flounder hook. Sometimes I use a high low but found a single hook rig to be the best for me. Tip the hooks with a small piece of sand worm and I am good to go. I had a huge winter flounder last year come off yakside. From that day I always bring a 3' net and have it ready to go right behind the seat. Secure it right into a bag, they love to jump in the kayak and can get loose.

Flounder have made a good comback in my area. Not near the numbers of the 80's yet but I have seen a noticelable improvment that I can actually target them especially in early season. March/April I will get a mix bag of Flounder, Black Sea Bass, Taug and Cod. In May/ June I will also see Fluke. I always bring 1/0-3/0 hooks. If there is more of a by-catch with the winter flounder I will switch out the Chestertown Hooks for something else.

Lots of fun and great table fish.

My biggest flounder were caught in kayak. I used mommichub and three-way to the main line.

I don't anchor. I just drift and cover area, pulling the rod every few seconds.

I catch a few of these per outing on kayak....

UR talking about winter flounder right?

If so, I cant drift until I get confidence. I will try to stay on flats near a creek outflow and as I dont like to anchor, I will feather the mirage drive, while chumming.

Summer Fluke, different story.

Im the same as the above guys, drifting is the way to go. Going with a 3 way rig or something like a minnow has worked awesome down here in Mississippi. We've been killing them since early febuary, gotta love our warm water lol. If you sit still, you have to be 100% on your bottom condition and location and how to fish them....all endless questions. If you were going to kill Bin Laden, would you sit and wait or cover ground looking for him?????? Tis the question of the day

BSmith was asking about Winter Flounder. That is what I wrote about.

Flounder is classified differently all around the Country but here is how it works in New England.

In New England, this, is a Winter Flounder:

winter_flounder

In New England this is a Summer Flounder or Fluke:

fluke.jpg

Common Difference:

I found Fluke to have teeth and larger mouths. Winter's will have no noticeable teeth and smaller mouths.

Fluke is considered a left-eyed flounder, and the winter flounder is considered a right-eyed flounder. Meaning, if the Fluke is on it's belly (see above picture), the eyes will be on it's left side. If the Winter is on it's belly (see above picture), it's eyes will be on it's right side.

Both are fantastic fish to eat. I can get both in my area at the same time during late May/June.

View PostMy biggest flounder were caught in kayak. I used mommichub and three-way to the main line.

I don't anchor. I just drift and cover area, pulling the rod every few seconds.

I catch a few of these per outing on kayak....

This is a summer flounder or fluke. Red arrow shows position of eyes. Just looking at this pic get's me hungry. I love the belly meat for sushi. Nice!

I wish we had em in south jersey. They are almost non existant down here due to the low poulations. There is a push down here to ban all winter flounder fishing for a few years. The idea is that as the population expands in the north they will disperse to the south. It doesnt make sense that our waters are barren of the winter flounder.

View PostMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm drool.gif me likey Flukey. biggrin.gif

I know how to catch them. wink.gif I just need to figure a way to load all this in the kayak. cwm31.gif

cwm27.gif

That is a mother load of Summer Flounder! They look like Fillet Mignon's to me right now.

Ahh the days of getting the boys together for a St. Patrick's Day trip out of Captree with yellow painted sinkers, a bottle of Jameson's Irish and Corn Beef sandwiches. Pool fish was always 4-5 lbs plus But this is a story for another thread.

Summer Flounder from the Yak, always. Great, relaxing, Perfect for the summer days, some big fish out there (bring a net)

I drift for Fluke(summer flounder) in the bay and from the surf. Last year I fished two rods at all times: One with gulp, the other with live (sometimes dead) killies. The killies, even the dead ones, outfished the gulp by a wide margin.

For winter flounder, I usually anchor and chum. The action can be great if you get 'em feeding in your slick.

View PostThat is a mother load of Summer Flounder! They look like Fillet Mignon's to me right now.

I won't mention what that muscle is used for.biggrin.gif

Flounder or fluke fish from a kayak? Why not? Dress for the conditions, paddle out to the spot, get right on top of them without spooking them so much (no motor), and drift around catching them. Absolutely! I love being able to sit down and hang my legs off the side of the kayak while fishing, just keep warm and dry.

Bruce, has the regs changed for Winter Flounder in RI past the Mt. Hope bridge? A friend of mine last year nailed a monster Winter Flounder while he was anchored fishing for Taug. We were near Prudence Island and after the Mt. Hope bridge and had to toss it back.

I'm out of the loop right now as for the current regs on them (too much other "stuff" going on lately).redface.gif

I used to get them right down where the boats are during the summer but they have been pretty (very) scarce around there the past couple of years.

Would it be considered spot burning if you mention a spot if there are no fish there?biggrin.gif