Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishweewee

14 inches of four-letter word on the way

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

*groan*

New York City Area Braces for Up to 14 Inches of Snow (Update1)

Email | Print | A A A

By Brian K. Sullivan and Sharon L. Lynch

March 1 (Bloomberg) -- The largest snowstorm of the season is on its way to New York City and the surrounding metropolitan area, with as much as a record-setting 14 inches expected to fall tonight and into tomorrow's rush hour, meteorologists say.

"It's a good, old-fashioned snowstorm," said Gary Conte, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Upton, New York. "The record for March is 10 inches (25 centimeters), set in 1896. Obviously, based on our forecast, that is in jeopardy. March is coming in like a lion." The 1896 record was for daily snowfall.

Snow will be accompanied by high winds that will cause drifting and bring unseasonably cold weather, Conte said. Temperatures will range between 20 degrees Fahrenheit (-6 degrees Celsius) to just about the freezing mark, which is 10 degrees to 15 degrees below normal.

"This is not the type of snow that gets melted within 24 to 48 hours," he said.

Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Boston are all expected to receive significant snow falls.

Washington may receive between 6 inches and 10 inches through tomorrow, while Baltimore is expected to get as much as 10 inches of snow. Philadelphia may receive as much as 11 inches of snow, while Boston could see between 9 inches and 18 inches by the end of tomorrow, the National Weather Service said on its Web site.

Flight Delays

This afternoon, Logan International Airport in Boston and New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport reported flight delays of about an hour, and Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport had average delays of almost two hours as the storm made its way up the East Coast.

Delta Air Lines, with hubs in both Atlanta and at New York's John F. Kennedy Airport, said it was thinning its flight schedule to minimize delays. Delta and Northwest Airlines customers flying the corridor between Washington and Maine were allowed to alter travel plans without charge by March 12, Delta said in a statement.

US Airways also waived standard fees for reservation changes, including date changes of up to seven days. Continental Airlines offered to switch travel itineraries for no fee through its Web site at www.continental.com.

Rock Salt, Shovels

In New York, almost 1,400 sanitation workers are set to begin working at 7 p.m., operating plows and salt trucks throughout the city. Almost 4,500 employees were expected to work tomorrow.

Lindsay Wyatt, 20, a manager at the Westbury, New York, Home Depot on Long Island, said business was up about 15 percent thanks to customers stocking up on rock salt and shovels.

"Everybody's coming in and just picking it up," he said. "We constantly run out."

Most of the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states received about a half-inch of snow overnight from an earlier storm, said Carrie McCabe, a meteorologist with AccuWeather.com in State College, Pennsylvania.

To contact the reporters on this story: Sharon L. Lynch in New York at sllynch@bloomberg.net; Dan Hart in Washington at dahart@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: March 1, 2009 15:59 EST

View Post14 inches!!!bigeyes.gif

That's what dreams are made of.

Spigwink.gif

Note to self: Spigola's dreams are very, very different then mine.

View PostNote to self: Spigola's dreams are very, very different then mine.

x2! I can honestly say that the thought to put down grass seed would have never crossed my mind... kooky.gif But then again, I would put my entire yard in rock if my wife would let me. Ah well, can't complain to much... she's the one that mows it... I can't - too busy fishin' biggrin.gif

8" have already fallen here and it's coming down at 2" per hour. Won't slow until 2:00 or so they say mad.gif

I'm not going to have enough gas for the snowblower.... cwm31.gif