Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

I really don't think Sports Authority wants to sell fishing gear...

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

...I almost never frequent the place anymore. However, earlier today, my wife and daughter wanted to go to the PetSmart that is right next door - so I snuck in. Not only is their inventory poor at best, their prices are almost a full one third higher than the prices over at Dick's. Not so much on reels and other fixed cost items...but their tackle is outrageous. A 1/12 oz gold Kastmaster that you'd use for trout usually goes for something in the high 2 dollar range; at SA, it was over $4.00. They also had a 3 pack of Kastmasters marked at $29.00 (smaller freshwater sizes). The smallest size Rapala X-Raps (the ones meant for freshwater and are about 3" long) cost $9.00kooky.gif

I was in there 3 days ago looking for a bag. The selection was really thin but at least it was over priced. Looked to me like they were trying to squeeze that department out the back door.

When I was kid the local Sports Authority had THE BEST fishing section of anyone around. They gave most bait and tackle shops around a run for their money.....

Sadly, Times have changed. I too believe they want out of selling fishing gear all together. They went from having a counter area with a nice selection of reels, and a guy behind the counter who actually had some insight on fishing. You could get a license from them. Their rod selection was great. Isles and isles of stuff.... Today it's just one wall full of either very over priced stuff or highly crappy stuff.

Personally, Over the years I've watched Sports Authority go from a great place to a golf equipment depot.....When this recession hits full term I suspect they won't be selling much of that golf equipment and it will be the end of them.....

John

View PostWhen I was kid the local Sports Authority had THE BEST fishing section of anyone around. They gave most bait and tackle shops around a run for their money.....

Sadly, Times have changed. I too believe they want out of selling fishing gear all together. They went from having a counter area with a nice selection of reels, and a guy behind the counter who actually had some insight on fishing. You could get a license from them. Their rod selection was great. Isles and isles of stuff.... Today it's just one wall full of either very over priced stuff or highly crappy stuff.

Personally, Over the years I've watched Sports Authority go from a great place to a golf equipment depot.....When this recession hits full term I suspect they won't be selling much of that golf equipment and it will be the end of them.....

John

When I was a kid it was Herman's. Then along came SP now it will be Dicks.

View PostWhen I was a kid it was Herman's. Then along came SP now it will be Dicks.

Good old Herman, I still have a bunch of Rods I bought from Herman over 23 years ago.

I agree - I too remember when they were very well stocked and you could pretty much find what you needed. Those days are gone. I do know this, however; The place you used to know is more 'gone' than ever you might think...their headquarters were in Ft Lauderdale and they were once a regionally thriving retailer (especially in the southern states). Then about 15 years ago, they shot their proverbial wad and tried to expand like crazy...they were all over the country and their number of stores were in the hundreds. I personally think they over did it and choked themselves to death. And with that, they sold out to a company/retailer who was/is popular in the midwest area of the country - Gart Sports. So for all intent, Sports Authority is gone and Gart is keeping the Sports Authority store fronts for the sake of customer recognition. This was somewhere around 5-7 years ago.

The best part about SA or Dicks is that they incorrectly price so many items, and they will sell them for the marked price. It really is a joke going into a place like that. I stop in a couple times a year, usually for camping stuff or shoes. And always walk out with some sort of bargain.

I go there once in a while to check the sales bins and even that has crazy prices, even though I usually look through everything good and find a pack of rubber shads or something in that sor for a buck or two. The funny thing is that the fishing dep is a small corner in the back compared to the other stuff they sell there.

Yep....Hermans was the first box store for me too You talk about the crazy prices at SA??? They once had an entire shipment of Bomber long-a's marked at $1.99...needless to say, I bought a ton that day. Went back a few days later, and they were more-or-less correctly marked. That same happens at Dicks once in a while, too. You just have to be there at the right time.