Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockabilly6120

Roof rack Q's

5 posts in this topic

I have a pickup with a back rack and was wondering if something like the rod vault would work if i don't use the front half? Basically, i want to use only the reel seating half of the vault to hold everything in. Ya think it'll be sturdy enough? I realize that the rods will bounce a little. The only part i'm concerned with is the rod butts hitting the roof of the cab as they'd only be a few inches above it. How much wiggle room for the rods is there when the vault is locked (up and down)?

I know it's tough to visualize. I can take some pics of the back rack if it helps.

-mike

If im reading it correctly, Your reel seat will sit on the back of the cab with the top of the rod tip pointing to the rear of the bed. You should have something holding the front of the rod towards the tip for support.

I think you would have to have something in your hitch coming up to support the rod tips, hitting a bump in the sand or highway could have the tips banging on the back of the truck pretty hard. I also assume you mean to have the rods on the truck cab and tips towards back....Jack

The rods would aim towards the rear of the truck, parallel to the ground. There would be at least 3 feet between the rods and the tailgate. Rod flop i'm not worried about. It's the stability of the vault. The handles will be over the cab's roof, parallel to it, and only clearing by about 2-3 inches. That's the concern. I don't want them to dent my roof by flopping around. I guess what i need to know is how tightly held the rods are in that thing.

-mike