Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stresst

Brake Issues/Any mechanics out there??

9 posts in this topic

I keep having to replace my brakes on my truck. I have had them replaced several times the last 3 years. First I had it done at pep boys pads and rotors then within 6 months maybe 2k they were gone went back and they replaced them under warranty. Than again about 3k more, this time I was charged for ceramic pads and better rotors. Same thing a few months later, They reimbursed me in full and then had cadilac do the job. This time they lasted 13 months, 1 more than the warranty of course. I was out of work so I went to R&S straus. Sure enough 4 months 5k miles I feel there goin/need to be done. There under warranty, just have to pay labor.

What do you think?? That's just what I remember. Before that I had my local mechanic instal factory parts twice plus another guy once. I had the brakes done about 10 times in 40k!!mad.gifredface.gifmad.gifredface.gif

Do you left foot brake?

Are the pins that hold the calipers lubed with the correct grease?

Is the master cylinder letting all the preasure off when you take your foot off?

Are your wheels and tires stock?

Is the proportioning valve set right?

Any trouble with ABS?

You had work done at the dealer, a couple of times. What is their opinion of what is causing the abnormal wear?

what kind of truck?

have calipers ever been replaced? i have had trouble on fords in the past where the pistons would corrode in the out position as the pads wore. after the pistons get pushed back into the caliper to put the new pads in they stick in the out position and eat up the new pads.

Could be anything .. pads, a caliper thats not retracting all the way ...

or just a heavy foot .. What type of pads are you using? Do you have over sized tires?

The better the pad say "performance metalics" are made of a softer material so they grab better but you'll actaully burn through them quicker .. Race pads will last only a few K

Ceramics are your all-around pad long wear and decent braking.

Do a search for Hawk Performance and Brembo great pads and rotors the websites will teach you everything you need to know about what pads to use.

And you can never go wrong with factory equipment either.

Caliper pistons stuck; not releasing pads from rotor. I've never had a problem with BENDIX calipers... OEM is always your best bet. Have your local tech order them from the dealer, this way you'll save on labor.

I had a problem with my old chevy blazer emergency cable frozen and wouldn't let the rear drums bite all breaking was on the front then used the emergency brake and it was frozen in the braking position have that checked too!! replaced cables no problems dealer did not pickup the problem

Its a 2000 Escalade. I have no issues with the ABS nor does it slow down abnormaly fast when I get off the gas. The dealer never gave me an explanation as to why they wore so fast.

I have the stock wheels on there so thats not the issue. I had dealer parts twice but they didn't hold up much better than the chain stores parts.

R & S straus said they warranty the parts but not the labor, so I have to spend more money. Besides the money this is really becomming a hassle!

Im gonna have RS do it again as well as the rear. I wish I knew whats up?? A heavy foot is definetely a small issue but there is something else. IMO