Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve1234

Worth trying this time of year?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

I'm relatively new to surfcasting, and have been wondering if there is anything to be caught during these winter months. I normally fish Plum Island during the striper season, but I find myself wondering if I could hook up with anything worthwhile before that season gears up. I don't mind the cold, and so I was wondering if it's worth trying?

as much as people can say whether there is fish or not. you wont know unless you try. even if it were august in a blitz you wont catch one if your lines not in smile.gif

its worth a shot, i usually don't start getting fish til april. but i have gotten bites since feb.

Flounder baby! And there back in good numbers. In the next week I'll dig the worms and get em ready. After that I'll have the kayak out doing drifts in the Revere, Saugus, Lynn and possibly Quincy - Dorchester muddy back waters. It's worth a recon to find these places to set up to Surfcast, yak or boat. No one will hand you spots, but I will tell you there will be rewards for doing footwork. All inshore With shots at Taug and the occasional Cod and Sea Bass. Then it's out to the Islands for April for hopefully more of Sea Bass, Cod and be there to greet the arriving Striped Bass mid April/May.

Boston Harbor and it's back waters, although most urban and industrial settings, can have some fantastic fishing, especially in the early season when the water temps start to climb. Can't forget Striped Bass, that have never left.

Urban Anglers! We don't wade on sand and rocks. We use steel girders and black mud. beers.gif

There are places where holdovers are fairly common and there's also a good chance of pollack around rocks/jetties. Also, from what I understand, there's a pretty good sculpin (what some call sea robins, but not true sea robins) in the canal right nowbiggrin.gifcwm27.gif

I tried codfishin about this time last year at the east end. I didnt get a bite, tried for about 2 hours. Jigged crippled herrings and tossed clams that i got from Joes, really nice clams too. Thats the only time i have codfished and begged the fish gods for a dogfish.

View Postas much as people can say whether there is fish or not. you wont know unless you try. even if it were august in a blitz you wont catch one if your lines not in smile.gif

its worth a shot, i usually don't start getting fish til april. but i have gotten bites since feb.

hey man have you been back out yet, i tried yesterday in southie at that spot before with no such luck, maybe in a week or two

I caught a small keeper cod a few years back around this time, shore-caught while fishing a big pile of rocks just north of boston. I've been flirting with the idea of heading out this month and trying my luck. I also have always had fun fishing light action for pollock from those rocks too. I've had good luck with a small/medium sized deadly dick or kastmaster, sometimes catching polluck on every third or fourth cast.

A friend of mine caught 2 short cod off the rocks in Scituate. I however not only got skunked this year but last year as well.

When we gill netted 20 years ago out nets were less than a mile from shore so be there when they move in abit and maybe you can catch.

smile.gif

Ps.. COLD on the water right now!!

View Posthey man have you been back out yet, i tried yesterday in southie at that spot before with no such luck, maybe in a week or two

I haven't been out.. trying to get my gear together before april comes along..

i am sure they are there.. jus out of casting distance.. since this year i have myself a little dingy i am going to try a little further out in the channel and see what i can ping wit my fish finder... i think i am going to ping that whole ledge by governer/deer island flats.. it looks fishy =).. when are you outta school? I could always use another fishing buddy if you don't mind the cold.