Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisherman25

Bucktails tipped with squid? (Bass fishing)

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I picked up a bunch of bucktails this year and want to start using them more often to get my confidence up. I've got pork rind and gulp plastics to tip them with, and have been reading up on the technique.

Any ever tip them with squid, I know the fluke guys do but never heard of any striper fisherman doing so.

View PostI picked up a bunch of bucktails this year and want to start using them more often to get my confidence up. I've got pork rind and gulp plastics to tip them with, and have been reading up on the technique.

Any ever tip them with squid, I know the fluke guys do but never heard of any striper fisherman doing so.

I do, it works well.

We used to sight fish for cobia in the Florida Panhandle with a bright colored jig with one real squid tentacle trailing from the rear.

They use artificial 'tentacles' nowadays with a bucktail which does the same thing. C2

I do it but for some reason only in the spring. Best advice I can give you, buy the squid fit for HUMAN consumption. Meaning go to a fish market and if you are brave tell him you are using it for bait and dont care if he has beat up ones he has to get rid of. Maybe he give you discount. I then cut into strips from there.

If you can find primo squid otherwise go with that. Aside from that, mostly red or white rind or plastic fin-s style stuff in white/chartreuse/alewife patterns on the back of bucktails.

Any other suggestions guys. I have heard that fishing with whole and cut squid (not btails I mean straight dark side baitfishing) used to be VERY popular from the surf on Long Island (and elsewhere) but it is not widespread on the island anymore at all. I would be surprised to hear otherwise.

JC

View PostIf Obama passed a law allowing us only one lure onboard the boat it would be a bucktail and squid combo for me.

Barrell -

Don't give the O any more ideas. cwm31.gif

You can always corner the market with your stimulus check. cwm27.gif

Hooky wink.gif

Take he squid and clean it. Cut strips to size. Take a tupperware container and fill with water and dump in kosher salt. Keep adding salt until the water can no longer hold it in suspension. Now you can add dye. You can use food coloring or RIT fabric dye. Add squid strips and leave in the refrigerator two weeks. Remove squid , put in a ziplock bag and stick in the freezer. Squid is as tough as pork rind now. The salt makes it stay flexible and it can be used over and over again. Food coloring dye will last, but the RIT last longer and stays more vibrant.

I used to tip my bucktails with Squid for fluke surf and boat, That was until I tried GULP................. Easier to carry, store and IMHO outfishes squid in this application. Oh yea it comes in some colors that have been hot on pickey fish.

View PostI picked up a bunch of bucktails this year and want to start using them more often to get my confidence up. I've got pork rind and gulp plastics to tip them with, and have been reading up on the technique.

why not?,,,it can only help!

it will coax those fish that are tracking behind it to get a good smell and help them to decide to strike..

H-H