Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sos_bigtopper

Ice Fishing Idea?

5 posts in this topic

I've never tried ice fishing but am dying to give it a shot. Almost had a buddy take me out on Hopatcong this winter but he got sick. Anyway if I only had so many holes to fish and so many baits to drop I'd try multiple hook rigs like we use for Sea Bass. A bunch of dropper loops off the leader might yield multiple catches. The fact that there are no replies yet might indicate that this is already an understood practice..

Didn't see what state you were living in, but in NJ there are only so many hooks/combos that are legal. Some multi rigs you can get away with if you put a spinner blade etc on it and call it a 'lure'. You can't use multiple sets of hooks unless they're a lure. even a stinger hook on a bait rig could be illegal.

View PostI've never tried ice fishing but am dying to give it a shot. Almost had a buddy take me out on Hopatcong this winter but he got sick. Anyway if I only had so many holes to fish and so many baits to drop I'd try multiple hook rigs like we use for Sea Bass. A bunch of dropper loops off the leader might yield multiple catches. The fact that there are no replies yet might indicate that this is already an understood practice..

Looks like we crossed with the posts. Check the regs here in NJ, most multi rigs in NJ a no no. 3 burrs on a lure, etc - but not 3 baited hooks.

View PostI've never tried ice fishing but am dying to give it a shot. Almost had a buddy take me out on Hopatcong this winter but he got sick. Anyway if I only had so many holes to fish and so many baits to drop I'd try multiple hook rigs like we use for Sea Bass. A bunch of dropper loops off the leader might yield multiple catches. The fact that there are no replies yet might indicate that this is already an understood practice..

Next year when the ice is back, post an I wanna go on the ice and if nobody else, I'd be happy to go out on the hard water with you. My ice buddies moved to CT and we spent many a good hour/day up on Hopatcong.