Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kayakkrazy

ChatterBaits for Stripers

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Chicky reminded me of this with his thread about blades on bucktails. Anybody thought about building a heavy duty chatterbait for Stripers? They are becoming very popular with LMB fishermen and I've heard they work well for Redfish and Snook.

Some pics would be realy nice of what you guys have come up with. Chicky's pics are amazing. Its funny how many of us just think alike I have been working on a few molds with different style jigs for a few weeks now. Of course using buzz blades and different spinners. Hope to be pouring next week.

View Postalready done chatterbait makes one about 3 ounces or 2 ounces I believe

Clouser I see the Chatterbait Big Game model but not the specs for it. I wonder if its hardware is sturdy enough for hardcore use. Some times these adapted products just don't cut it in the surf.

I saw some heavy large chatterbaits at one of the local chain sport stores. I was tempted to buy some but at $9.00 + each I passed.

Glad to see this post. Seems like each winter I keep thinking of ways to apply freshwater lures to the salt. I think it's all those catalogs and duplicates of that get mailed to me.

I've tried them for bass and blues and have yet to catch on them. They do put a strain on your rod and wrist with a lot of vibration...

They do kick arse in the fresh water for SM and LM!

D.J.

There's a guy out here in Woodland, CA (near Sacramento) that makes large chatterbaits and tips them with a 6" Fish Trap swimbait. They look great and have a lot of vibration but I've yet to catch a striper on one of them though I must say I don't fish it very often.

Have caught some smaller stripers on 1/2 oz chatterbaits tipped with a 5" narrow swimbait. Of course, the guys fishing with me caught just as many and they were just using same swimbait on a plain jig head! They could cast theirs a little further too.

When these were first introduced for muskies the biggest concern was the attachment points for the jig and the leader across the metal blade. It wasn't sturdy enough to withstand constant casting and a muskie twisting. I haven't seen an improved one so I can't tell you if they are sturdy enough.

/ I tried to check out some of the newer models but the second Google image for "Chatterbait" turned up this and I got distracted.

bass2qt2.jpg

Many of the freshwater baits can be crossed over. I've alwayse thought that spinner baits would be great for bottom fishing and was throwing one in the harber of refuge at Pt. judith and was catching fluke on it. So I imagion if you beefed up the hardware on that it would work well on stripers.

Armand

Long time lurker...this is my first post.

I had to weight in on this. I fish in the raritan bay area and I have had good luck on the bigger chatterbaits with the stripah's. I've tried alot of them, but the easiest to get my hands on are from Zman.

I know Harry's Army Navy has them in stock. not sure about Ramsey's or Meltzer's. I think I saw some at Effinger's the other day, but can't remember.

Does anyone know how to post pics? I have some good shots of monsta's from last spring that were devouring the chatterbait. Slow rolling it in the surf. Just remember to set the hook really good and sharpen the hook it comes with. It's not really that sharp out of the box.

I was fishing a pike tournament in the CT river a couple of years ago in the fall, and was slamming schoolies on a chatterbait. Problem was they were smaller chatterbaits meant for LMB and SMB and they were destroyed by the end of the day. Hooks held up though and I didn't lose any fish, just lost the skirts and tweeked the blades. I can imagine a larger one like the musky innovations chatterbaits would get you some nice larger bass.