Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlueDaksi

Irondequoit Bay tomorrow in Rochester, NY...

14 posts in this topic

There's about a 100X300 yard stretch of open water near the creek mouth just off of Empire Blvd. in Rochester near the Oak Orchard Canoe and Kayak shop on Irondequoit Bay (the rest of the bay is ice...). I'm going mid-morning if it's not windy, raining, or too cold tomorrow - its supposed to be sunny. There were some guys catching steelhead and brown trout off of the bridge there this week.

If anybody wants to meet me there to kayak fish tomorrow (Saturday), send a pm. I know that fishing that small of a patch of water might seem desperate... and it is. I have cabin fever! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww!!!bucktooth.gifbigeyes.gif :fre ak:

-Paul

View PostHave fun, and BE CAREFUL! That is some cold water.

Thanks. I'll be careful. It's a very protected cove and if it's too cold, I'll have to wait.

In the meantime, check out this ESPN article about fishing after ice-out in Irondequoit Bay... wink.gif

"...the headwaters of Irondequoit Creek, described by the Department of Environmental Conservation as one of the best steelhead streams in the state."

Commercial Link removed

Hey that sounds really cool. Are you going to troll? How far are you from there?

I would most certainly be in there alot if I was close by. I like the part about it being sheltered from the W winds and " a perfect small-boat fishery".

Go for it and certainly keep us posted. Take pix.

View PostHey that sounds really cool. Are you going to troll? How far are you from there?

I would most certainly be in there alot if I was close by. I like the part about it being sheltered from the W winds and " a perfect small-boat fishery".

Go for it and certainly keep us posted. Take pix.

I'm about 30 miles from there. There's not much room to troll in the thawed bit of open water. Plus, it's pretty shallow and where the fish should be at the mouth of Irondequoit Creek. I'll take pics... If I'm successful!cwm27.gif

Enjoy, be safe and Good Luck!

This is perhaps the only time of year that piece of water can be enjoyed without the usual yahoo's. It's no wonder the local folk often refer to it as 'Idiotic Bay' smile.gif

I thought I was the only one from Rochester here (Williamson actually). It cracks me up to see I. bay being mentioned here, almost 5 years online, ...I love it. Good luck. I watched a couple guys drifting egg sacs today in Pultenyville, getting some fish. R U going to be trolling the big lake this spring?

I've been kayak fishing for about five years and have finally decided that it's a true passion of mine. I'm just now getting involved with the online kayak fishing community and trying to meet other folks who love this sport.

I live down in Livonia (two miles from Hemlock Lake), but work in Rochester. I'll probably kayak fish Irondequoit Bay a few times this spring. I'm also planning to get onto Lake Ontario for some trolling this summer. You?

Did you catch the kayak fishing meet and greet thread? We're getting together @ 7:30pm on the 20th of March at the Gander Mountain store in Henrietta.

We will be viewing a shortened 25-minute premiere version of the movie - Kayak Fishing: Game On - here's a trailer for the movie... Commercial link removed

You ought to come join us!

-Paul

Unless I'm shamed and goaded into going, it looks like no kayak fishing here today. frown.gif Despite checking the forecast last night before going to bed and noting that despite being chilly, it was still tolerable, I wake up this morning, and there's 2-3" of snow on the ground when there was no snow in the forecast and it's 10 degrees colder than what was supposed to be in the forecast! I've been up here five years and I'm still not used to the weather... It's mad I tell you... MAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!! kooky.gif

Yeah, I was testing plugs in Bear creek, this morning as it was re-freezing. Not fun with the N wind. Even the dog was looking out the window laughing at me.

I'll be trolling the big lake as soon as it's time. My earliest brown was the last week in March, with the right conditions. I have to get the raft ready for some dedicated trolling. I was just using the Hobie rod holders last year. Rod holders are on the list, a cold water top w/ a neck gasket, and some more general organization. I caught everything trolling last spring/summer. Trout, big perch, rock bass, sheep's head, and of course smallies.

If you want to do the big lake some time, we could launch from my backyard...

View PostYeah, I was testing plugs in Bear creek, this morning as it was re-freezing. Not fun with the N wind. Even the dog was looking out the window laughing at me.

I'll be trolling the big lake as soon as it's time. My earliest brown was the last week in March, with the right conditions. I have to get the raft ready for some dedicated trolling. I was just using the Hobie rod holders last year. Rod holders are on the list, a cold water top w/ a neck gasket, and some more general organization. I caught everything trolling last spring/summer. Trout, big perch, rock bass, sheep's head, and of course smallies.

If you want to do the big lake some time, we could launch from my backyard...

If you are serious about going out on the big lake some time, I'm there! smile.gif Are you going to be able to make it to our Western NY Kayak Fishing Meet and Greet on 20 March at Gander Mountain? You can find the info on this thread if you haven't seen it already - http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=646446

Oh, call us nuts, but we went out on the bay today anyway. kooky.gif It was 12 degrees F and a good north wind - not too much chop though. We were on the water for about 2 hours. We didn't catch any fish, but had fun trying anyway. We tried to keep things simple and light, so didn't put on all of the rod holders and left the fishfinder home. It was really shallow where we were too. Did I mention that it was cold? Brrrrrrrrrrr!

downsized_0228091354a.jpg

downsized_0228091523b.jpg