Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

impeller is stuck on the driveshaft

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Guys, I just removed my lower unit so that I could replace the water pump, impeller, etc. Apparently, in my last running of the boat in the driveway to winterize it, the earmuffs that I started with (and later ditched for a big rubbermaid tub filled with water) was not enough, and my impeller has some major chunks missing. I guess that the rubber that came loose somehow jammed in between my impeller and the driveshaft, and as a result, my impeller seems stuck. I tried to pry it with a screwdriver, but all that did was lift the driveshaft about 1/16" or so (by the way, is that bad?).

So, what's a guy to do? Should I use a dremel to cut a slid, and then try to pry it off? Should I dremel a slit on opposite sides, and then pry it off that way?

Lastly, I dropped a socket down in the large opening just behind the water pump (I believe that it's the exhaust area). When I got the socket out, it was really oilly. Is this just a normal occurance due to the exhaust having some oil in it?

Thanks.

I've had the same problem with the impella. I used a hack saw carefully cutting along the drive shaft. Then just pry with a screw driver. Make sure you don't damage the shaft. I'm sure you could use the dremel. As far as the socket goes, I can't say for sure. Good luck. Also make sure you cut on the opposite side of the key-way.

View PostGuys, I just removed my lower unit so that I could replace the water pump, impeller, etc. Apparently, in my last running of the boat in the driveway to winterize it, the earmuffs that I started with (and later ditched for a big rubbermaid tub filled with water) was not enough, and my impeller has some major chunks missing. I guess that the rubber that came loose somehow jammed in between my impeller and the driveshaft, and as a result, my impeller seems stuck. I tried to pry it with a screwdriver, but all that did was lift the driveshaft about 1/16" or so (by the way, is that bad?).

So, what's a guy to do? Should I use a dremel to cut a slid, and then try to pry it off? Should I dremel a slit on opposite sides, and then pry it off that way?

This is not uncommon. Get a cold chisel and break the hub of the impeller.

Use the Dremel with the cutting wheel. 45 degrees away from the key-way. Then go 180 degrees to the other side, if you can not pry it off after the first cut. Good Luck

like the guys said, use a hacksaw or dremel. Sounds like a Johnson/Evenrude to me. Seems that they always gall around the shaft and that little round key doesn't help matters.

The old "oil on the socket" trick sounds like a bad seal or o-ring somewhere. Depending on specific information like how much oil, what does it smell like, thin or thick, would help determine if it's lower gear case oil or combustion oil from the upper. Too little information to determine cause and effect.

Make sure after you cut it off, use the dremel with a wire wheel and clean the shaft off. Baby arsse smooth.wink.gif When you install the new one make sure you coat the area where the impeller goes with GREEN GREASE.