Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
easternpoints

Men and House Work

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get an honest assessment of how much house work you guys do around your house. While we are at it, how clean do you think your house is? It seems to be sore spot in my marriage. I'll preface it by saying I'm not working right now (laid off). I don't think the house is that dirty. I vacuum and dust every other day. I do dishes and my own laundry. I clean windows sometimes. I don't cook. I don't wash the floors. I clean the bathrooms. I do all the odd jobs around the house as well as all outside yard work, lawn, leaves etc. I keep the cars maintained, I work on them myself. Am I missing something? Is she justified in ******ing? I just don't get it. Feel free to chime in. If I'm wrong, I can take it.

I live alone, except when my son is here. If I don't do it, it doesn't get done. Gotta start beatin' the kid more to do more work around here. beatin.gif

edit: now that I read you post instead of just skimming it, it seems you do a lot. vacuum and dust every other day?? one question. Why do you do just your laundry?

put it this way, she works every other weekend, when she comes home from work the floors are done, the laundry is done, everything is dusted etc, toys picked up, evrything that needs to be doen is done and the kids are damn near ready for hibernation from activities.....all this so I can come home from work for the next two weeks and sit on my arse...

I am in the same boat as John, I suggested we get a cleaning lady, but I had no idea it would be me!

I got home from work a little while ago and mopped the floor cause the wife won't make the puppy go to the bottom of the outside stairs to do his business. So he'll step in it, and then track it through the kitchen. She says she is too rushed in the morning. God forbid she fet up 5 minutes early! Why should she though? SHE has a cleaning person!

its a simple existence, except when the bad noise starts. im sick of doing everything for everybody around here i get no help screamin-meanie.gif and put up with this crap day n night, im done DONE

she threatens work stoppage at least 3x/week. if i really want to light the fuse i tell her stop complaining and go get a job icon25.gif well over the phone, you feel me

View Postits a simple existence, except when the bad noise starts. im sick of doing everything for everybody around here i get no help screamin-meanie.gif and put up with this crap day n night, im done DONE

she threatens work stoppage at least 3x/week. if i really want to light the fuse i tell her stop complaining and go get a job icon25.gif well over the phone, you feel me

thats how I handled it, then she got a job, once the intial three weeks of constant complaints about how hard the real world is, she kinda calmed down ...now we cool

View Postand my own laundry..

Now mind you I only have 18 years in the trenches so I can still be considered a FNG...but me thinks this could be a irritant that might result in the pearl most undesirable...

You need to get your mind right...

For the record; it used to be inside hers, outside mine.

Now, since she works 3 till 11 and I do days (when I work) I've changed it up some to help. My grandfather (he is 89) lives with us and needs someone home the majority of the time, thus the different work times.

I feed him each night and do the dishes every night. I also clean the bathroom. Vacuum a couple of times a week and do most of the outside , cut stuff. (snow removal, cut the grass and house maintenance) My wife helps with the outside stuff by weeding and taking care of the roses. We have over 40 plants and she enjoys working outside.

We have no complaints with each other and have been hapily married for going on 18 years.

View PostI'm trying to get an honest assessment of how much house work you guys do around your house. While we are at it, how clean do you think your house is? It seems to be sore spot in my marriage. I'll preface it by saying I'm not working right now (laid off). I don't think the house is that dirty. I vacuum and dust every other day. I do dishes and my own laundry. I clean windows sometimes. I don't cook. I don't wash the floors. I clean the bathrooms. I do all the odd jobs around the house as well as all outside yard work, lawn, leaves etc. I keep the cars maintained, I work on them myself. Am I missing something? Is she justified in ******ing? I just don't get it. Feel free to chime in. If I'm wrong, I can take it.

Sounds like you do alot more than me!!

I prefer the unscheduled, thankless and usually ignored "Man's Work" like shoveling snow (this morning 5" of snow 5;30 AM 1 degree so she could get out on timebeatin.gif), keeping after the cars, house, yard etc. Then throwing in scheduled stuff like the recycling, trash, little box, carrying in the groceries etc.

My wife does most of the cleaning but she is also the one who is making the messes especially when cooking. Pointing that out usually gets me in some serious troublebiggrin.gif She is always commenting how I never help out. I'll clean as long as I have can have a say when the mess is being made.