Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skate Bait

Thank God!

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Between 35,000 to 50,000 troops will remain in Iraq, he said. They would be withdrawn gradually until all U.S. forces are out of Iraq by December 31, 2011 -- the deadline set under an agreement the Bush administration signed with the Iraqi government last year.

"Let me say this as plainly as I can: By August 31, 2010, our combat mission in Iraq will end," Obama said in a speech at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

"By any measure, this has already been a long war," Obama said. It is time to "bring our troops home with the honor they have earned."

Obama's trip to Camp Lejeune, a Marine Corps base, was his first trip to a military base since being sworn in.

Administration officials, who briefed reporters on the plan, said the remaining troops would take on advisory roles in training and equipping Iraqi forces, supporting civilian operations in Iraq and conducting targeted counterterrorism missions, which would include some combat.

But the ultimate success or failure of the war in Iraq, Obama said, would rest with the Iraqi people themselves. It is up to the Iraqis, he said, to ensure a future under a government that is "sovereign, stable and self-reliant."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/...ops/index.html

View Postcwm27.gif

we're never leaving. we will always have troops there. combat mission will end and peacekeeping force will stay.

Just like Korea. Nobody (except johnwade) ever complains about bringing them home. Of course, a Dem sent them there to begin with, so that's ok. Stopping communism from spreading and the "Domino Theory" from happening had the Dems send us into Korea and Vietnam, but that was different, it was such a worthwhile goal. Turned out exactly as planned. Bush did everything out of spite...........

Using sarcasm to make a point here fellas.

View PostI figured we more or less only went in to have a permanent presence there anyway.

I agree.....but also....to build this:

071031_embassy_hmed_11a.h2.jpg

080411-iraq-embassy-hmed-12p.hmedium.jpg

647-26web-USIRAQ-EMBASSY-2.standalone.pr

The US Embassy in Baghdad........

And it has a VERY SIGNIFICANT purpose for our "very near" future!!!

Yep, looks pretty permanent. A friend argued this with me at the first rumblings of invading Iraq. Said WMD were of absolutely no consequences, smoke. Just a pure neo con agenda for a long range plan to beach head the ME. I was so naiive I thought the whole build up including the vote to use any means was posturing. But he convinced me.

View PostYep, looks pretty permanent. A friend argued this with me at the first rumblings of invading Iraq. Said WMD were of absolutely no consequences, smoke. Just a pure neo con agenda for a long range plan to beach head the ME. I was so naiive I thought the whole build up including the vote to use any means was posturing. But he convinced me.

I'm glad he did!!! But the Rabbit Hole goes much deeper than the US just building this FORTRESS!!! Just wait and see who moves in..... in the "near" future!!!cwm40.gif

View PostI'm glad he did!!! But the Rabbit Hole goes much deeper than the US just building this FORTRESS!!! Just wait and see who moves in..... in the "near" future!!!cwm40.gif

Barry Hussein Obama?