Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RightHook

Musicians in the house - show your stuff

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I've been playing guitar for longer than I've been working, but lack of dedication when I had the time to practice has left me "hopelessly intermediate". Now I mostly play classical guitar and some ragtime/country blues, but I've been messing around with clawhammer banjo this winter.

Who plays? What music? What instruments? Unfortunately, you need to see my ugly mug and my axes but focus on the positive...The first pic is of me entertaining the faithful at a parish function; the second pic is of me picking and singing with my daughter.

Here's mine...Strat is a 2003 Mexican, but it's been heavily modified. Texas Special pickups, cavity lined with copper insulation tape, two 500k no-load tone pots. Needs a refret though. The Gibson is a 1965 ES-120T. Was my Grandfather's guitar and was the first one I ever played as a child. It only has one single coil pickup in it but it will rip your head off through a Fender tube amp. Great blues guitar.

P2260019.jpg

This is an acoustic that was my Grandpa's as well. It's a cheapo brand called Yakima, but I like it. The neck on it is very wide which is nice since I have huge hands.

P2260020.jpg

Good thread...wish I had some pics of my arsenal.

Good to hear someone else is on banjo these days. I go home and play my 1996 Stelling Bellflower banjo everyday after work. Scruggs-style, since 1983.

I am mainly a guitarist though, who started on one of those cheap cigarette named electrics in 1969, and have played pretty much daily since. Most interesting guitars are a 1966 Fender Esquire, and my beloved Taylor Grand Auditorium acoustic (can't remember the model). I also have a Fender Telecaster, a Guild and a Martin acoustic, and a weird old Danelectro. My amps include a vintage MusicMan 100w tube head (1978) and a Marshall combo. It all goes into a VT22 cabinet. Lost the head to that one somewhere along the line.

I am going to a friend's house on Saturday, he and a bunch of musicians (I am not one) are having a jam session. I'll post pictures of his basement. He has tons of stuff down there that even a non musician like me is able to appreciate. I know he has at least 6 1960's Vox speakers, a whole bunch of older bass guitars, drums, keyboards, 12 track mixing board.

I'm a drummer. I'll b=play anything with anyone who shows up to jam. I just got taken on board as a substitute for a band that I've been inot for years for 2 upcoming gigs in NYC. I've played with them before. Jammed last night which was really cool because we were writing stuff instead of just cramming for their show. Unfortunately the reason they need me right now is that the drummer is out of town with a sick family member. Usually it's just because he's out on business. Here's my stuff.

bachelorpad.jpg

I've since moved them to my living room.

View PostI'm a drummer. I'll b=play anything with anyone who shows up to jam. I just got taken on board as a substitute for a band that I've been inot for years for 2 upcoming gigs in NYC. I've played with them before. Jammed last night which was really cool because we were writing stuff instead of just cramming for their show. Unfortunately the reason they need me right now is that the drummer is out of town with a sick family member. Usually it's just because he's out on business. Here's my stuff.

bachelorpad.jpg

I've since moved them to my living room.

You play a stove?

View PostThat Gibson is very cool. heart.gif .

Can you play it unplugged, I mean, is it loud enough to play as an acoustic?

Yeah, it's a hollow body so it's loud enough to play without an amp, but it's only about 1/2 as loud as a regular acoustic. I can't begin to explain how good that single coil sounds though. It's SICK. drool.gif

Too much stuff packed away(for my kids) to mention, including a couple special guitars and amps rescued from the inevitable fate of being shipped to Japan in the late 80's early 90's. But these are my most cherished as I've played them almost daily for the last...geebus! icon24.gif...almost 20 years.

This Pearl(BLX) kit has been to 3 continents where it had been flogged mercilessly in venues from CBGB's to the Marquee Club to Red Rocks. The Acrolite was there too. cwm27.gif

DSC_0157.JPG

I purchased this late 70's 130watt Twin from Patti Smith in 92. Since then its been modded by the late great Ken Fisher(Trainwreck) and recently by "The Bird" who have in tandem transformed it into a 170watt monster. This amp has stories. icon14.gif The Tele is nothing special, just a black and gold 81, but it's a great player and sounds phenomenal especially through the Twin...

DSC_0159.JPG