Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prefessa

Igloo Cooler Hinges

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Guys:

Any Brass substitute out there that can be used to replace hinges on an old Igloo Marine 94 cooler??

Bought an overhaul Kit from Igloo and the new hinges broke after just Three Fishing Trips! The old hinges were better made and had a pin like a regular door hinge...the new hinges are just bootleg plastic that bends intil it breaks.

You can use door hinges (brass or stainless), however you need to keep in mind that the hinges are only as good as the material you are screwing them into. The cover and frame aren't that strong to begin with. I've given up trying to improve on the hinges. I replace the broken hinges a few times with the stock hinges and buy a new ice chest when it gets too far gone. By then the handles have broken, the bottom cracked and patched in a few places and it leaks water.

Hi Fishn:

The reason I am clinging to this cooler is that its a genuine Igloo Marine....Not The Cosco 30-40 dollar specials. Igloo Marines ran over a buck a quart two decades ago!!

I have kept Ice frozen in these coolers in August for 3-4 days!!! The cooler material is pretty strong...alot stronger than the crappy plastic hinges they make now.

Understand - not easy to part with a $100 cooler (been there, done that).

After stripping out the thread holes in the original hinge locations, I've moved the hinges over a bit and made new screw holes. After a while, the insulation under the plastic starts to fail and the area around the hinges break apart and get "soft". I then used stainless steel door hinges, but after a while the screws strip out just like with the original plastic hinges. Coming back to the "hard to part with a cooler" - the hinges cost about $35/pair.

I haven't tried it myself but you might want to use a brass continuous/piano style hinge instead. With smaller screws every inch or so, there may not be as much damage to the cooler and cover itself.

Good luck!

I go though a set about every 2 years on my "cosco cooler". I've just been replacing them since the local hardware store always has them in stock. My dad's marine cooler still has the original hinges and is well over 10 years old and my 25 qt marine cooler went 3 years before they broke. Biggest problem is the plastic gets very brittle from sitting in the sun all day. Only other thing you could do is get a heavy duty barn style hinge and bolt it though the lid and cooler.

View PostUnderstand - not easy to part with a $100 cooler (been there, done that).

After stripping out the thread holes in the original hinge locations, I've moved the hinges over a bit and made new screw holes. After a while, the insulation under the plastic starts to fail and the area around the hinges break apart and get "soft". I then used stainless steel door hinges, but after a while the screws strip out just like with the original plastic hinges. Coming back to the "hard to part with a cooler" - the hinges cost about $35/pair.

I haven't tried it myself but you might want to use a brass continuous/piano style hinge instead. With smaller screws every inch or so, there may not be as much damage to the cooler and cover itself.

Good luck!

To replace the Hinges, I use pieces of Side Wall from an old Mountain Bike Tire, attached with Peel Rivets

Drill a hole deep enough for the Rivet, squirt a couple drops of water in the hole, squirt a little Polyurethane Glue (Gorilla Glue) in the hole and Rivet it on. Use the Glue in any old hole too, the added water will make it foam excessively, locking old brittle insulation together.