Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SurfRatJimmy

All Star Surf rods

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Was checking out the All star big boy surf rods recently at one of my local tackle stores and they look sweet. Light weight, nice cork tape handle, all fuji components and a great price tag to match! ($100 for the 9' medium action that throws 1-4 oz.) Anyone have any input on these rods? They sure look the part but i was just wondering what everyone else thinks.

Forgot to mention they also had an 8' and 10' spinning in stock as well. The 10 looked real nice for throwing big wood as it was rated 2-5 oz. I think the 10' was going for $120? Any input would be appreciated. I'm looking to add another backup rod to my arsenal and these might just be the ticket.

Not familiar.

Sounds like a good backup. FYI I've found that most rods in this price range stretch their oz don't count on the 1-5 casting more than 4-1/4, sure it'll cast 5 but it'd probably be more of a slow heave. Good for Lg plugs but no 8&bait.

I agree, but it's just a name. Sometimes i feel that people get too caught up in names in this sport. I know the high end, big name companies make a great product but i feel like some people buy these expensive pieces of equipment just to brag, talk, and show them off. Nothing against the big names, in fact I own a few pieces of top end equipment, but I just like to go out and fish and whatever I have that works is what I use.

I prefer the Inexpensive rods (don't have $ for the Lami) But i don't like to baby my rods which i would if i put out some $400. Have 2 tsunami's that work just fine.

View PostWas checking out the All star big boy surf rods recently at one of my local tackle stores and they look sweet. Light weight, nice cork tape handle, all fuji components and a great price tag to match! ($100 for the 9' medium action that throws 1-4 oz.) Anyone have any input on these rods? They sure look the part but i was just wondering what everyone else thinks.

I was at BassPro this afternoon looking at the St Croix and G Loomis 10'6 surf rods and this All Star 12' rod caught my attention. I wonder why they chose the name 'big boy' but it is light and has a very good feel when I tried flipping it. These rods appear to be a much better buy than the Daiwa Emblem Surf or GLoomis (kooky.gif).

Then a nice gentleman came by and we started talking about and examined the new range of Surf King Lami rods. The rods are great value for money and for about 100 bucks it seems too good to be true because the guides are already worth more then 60-70. The blanks feel great. The SK11MHC is worth a serious look.

I have the St Croix Premier 10'6 spinning surf heart.gif and was looking for a 10'6 casting.

View PostThese sticks prolly aren't any worse then any other import rod, But lets face it These will never match the TRUE US made All Stars... Not even close!

clapping.gifclapping.gif

so i'm assuming that ugly stick or whoever wound up with with the allstar name / equipment etc is going to try and cash in on the all star name with some pos rod headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

I use the lighter version of the Star rods. Bought the first one at the Hook Up. Guides in NJ use them and told us about them. The are very durable and as you said, the price is right. I use it from my boat and in the bays on foot.

There are decent rods out there, for about a buck, a buck and a half. One just has to know which one to get.

I wouldn't mind using a rod that said "Big Boy". As long as the, "Big Boy" wasn't in big letters.biggrin.gif

View PostThere are decent rods out there, for about a buck, a buck and a half. One just has to know which one to get.

I wouldn't mind using a rod that said "Big Boy". As long as the, "Big Boy" wasn't in big letters.biggrin.gif

What's wrong with that? You could use it with your Penn Seaboy, probably catch lots of fish...

View PostI agree, but it's just a name. Sometimes i feel that people get too caught up in names in this sport. I know the high end, big name companies make a great product but i feel like some people buy these expensive pieces of equipment just to brag, talk, and show them off. Nothing against the big names, in fact I own a few pieces of top end equipment, but I just like to go out and fish and whatever I have that works is what I use.

View PostThese sticks prolly aren't any worse then any other import rod, But lets face it These will never match the TRUE US made All Stars... Not even close!

View Postclapping.gifclapping.gif

so i'm assuming that ugly stick or whoever wound up with with the allstar name / equipment etc is going to try and cash in on the all star name with some pos rod headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Exactly. These All Star rods have nothing in common with the quality, made in USA rods and blanks that put All Star and Breakaway on the map. That company no longer exists. Shakespeare bought the company and now, the rods are exactly what Harnell rods were after South Bend bought the name--All Stars in name only.

Rainshadow blanks are more like the lineal descendants of the original All Stars than these rods are, IMO.

Original All Stars are among the best surf blanks ever made, and were probably the best dollar-for-dollar value in rods. I like mine every bit as much as I like my Lamiglas rods, and prefer them for some applications.