Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

how not to get rid of lice

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) - Police say a teenager who soaked her hair in gasoline to try to kill head lice was severely burned when the gas fumes ignited and set her head ablaze.

 

Eighteen-year-old Jessica Brooks was in serious condition Thursday at the burn unit at University Hospital in Louisville, Ky. She was burned Sunday night at her apartment in Evansville, Ind.

 

Police said Brooks was in her bathroom letting her hair soak in gasoline just before a pilot light from a water heater ignited the gas fumes and her hair.

 

Investigator Richard Howard said Brooks suffered second- and third-degree burns over more than half of her body.

 

 

Brooks was taking high school night classes in hopes of graduating this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View Post

Investigator Richard Howard said Brooks suffered second- and third-degree burns over more than half of her body.

 

That's no joke frown.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View Postit's to bad this poor kid will never be the same because she did not spend 8 bucks at a drug store.I'll bet some one told her to do it.

 

It def sucks but what really sucks is that she didn't have the proper education and parenting to know that you don't put gas on yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been there and done that (well not trying to kill headlice)...but was in a situation of being in a substantial proximity of gas fumes and an open flame, on a rainy day, in the open, where I didn't smell gas fumes... and it cost me second degree burns to the point of lacking 1 or 2 layers of skin to technically would have been 3rd degree, but it missed the nerves and muscle tissue,, being a flash burn and not actually having the sustance on me, which would have been more damage, but less painful, almost an arm, thankfully I pulled my arm against my stomach (in pure fear when I heard the boom) and I had a 1" swath, the entire length of my arm from finger tips to 2" above the elbow, that didnt burn...which gave my arm "room to swell" and not cut off the entire circulation. Said if it had done that, I would have most likely lost my hand, and probably arm, from elbow down, due to a tourniquet effect from the swelling of the burn.

 

Rehab from a burn and the healing process is not fun. Granted there is a LOT of common sense, and if nothing else, education to be learned by that age, about gas and open flames. If it wasn't unfortunate enough that she tried to remove the lice with gasoline, it was even more fortunate that she may have KNOWN better about gas and flames, but easily forgotten about the pilot light. We have a pilot light on our gas logs, but I take it for granted and forget it's there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View PostThat's no joke frown.gif

 

 

How true. My Mom and Step-dad were burned badly when I was about 15. Someone put some gunshells in the gas tank of an old 65 GMC pickup we had. Well my Dad drained the tank into a huge garbage can and move the can to the back yard, but there were kids around so he and my Mom moved it into a utility room outside our apt building. Water heater pilot light lit it up like a Christmas tree. Mom has almost 50% 2nd degree, and another 35% was 3rd degree. Dad got his hands 3rd degree, and his face a little as well from trying to put her out. Her legs took the brunt of the blast, and they had to skin her back for skin grafts to her legs. When I first saw my Mom after going outside her legs were snow white from the burns with skin hanging off. What an awful sight that was. frown.gif For many many years I couldn't watch movies with fire scenes in them because of that. She spent 30 days in the ICU, and is still having complicatinos to this day from the injuries. Fire is no joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View PostSounds like a Darwin Award contestant.kooky.gifkooky.gif

 

 

I was thinking the same thing but thought better of posting it. Third degree burns are not really funny. It is pretty sad. This girl has and will continue to go through hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow

 

I do have a friend who is in medical R&D ~ they learned how to "grow" skin for use with burn victims.

When we were kids we lost a friend of ours who was badly burnt in a car wreck.

To this day I'd rather take a broken bone or a deep gash over a burn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.