Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy29

Scotty or Ram rod holders?

16 posts in this topic

View PostThey are going to be mounted on a Mad frog gear lily pad which will be mounted in front of my SIK Necky Manitou

Billy29, let me know how you make out. I am looking to set up the same system on my SIK.

I am satisfied with Scotty. Inexpensive and durable. I am not happy with the metal product line from Ram including rod holders and fish finder holders. The powder coat comes off, corrodes and looks horrible. Ram will take it back and give you a new one if there is anyone here with peeling and corroding ram products.

Ram has come out with a composit line but I have yet to get it in my hands for a look see. Has anyone purchased any of the new rams with composit/nylon construction?

The new Revolution line from Ram is...in my opinion...not worth it. There is a problem when you tighten down real tight on the adjustment knob where you can easily crack the base. Personally - especially when trolling (granted, I don't do much of that anymore) - I want to ensure the rod holder is tightened as much as possible for those big hits. Problem is, if you tighten down too much, you risk breaking the thing. I've had conversations with the folks from Ram and they are aware of this problem (don't know if they've done anything about it).

On a side note, when I've had any corrosion with my Ram's, they have also replaced them with no questions asked. Personally, I like the bullet proof makeup of the metal Rams despite the aforementioned powder coating issues. Hell, I've only had that happen twice in the 6 years I've used Ram and they were replaced. Just a matter of preference here...in the end, they are both good products. icon14.gif

I just purchased the lily pad and a pair of scotty rof holders one for fly rod and one for spinning. I would like to mount the lily pad in the rear but it would be blocking the paddle indent for a rescue.

View PostWhich of the ram rodholders are worth it then? Metal or composite? Tube or no tube style?

I have both tube and metal.. the metal is mounted on the front of my yack as an extra rod holder.. i have the tubes in the back.. i also have a crate mate in the back and that comes with 3 or 4 rod holders built in which is great!!

I like using a Ram tube up front for trolling. It's on a Scotty base, with the ball adapter so I can switch it out with a Scotty if needed. This way I can use my Scotty Flyrod holder. Rollcast