EBay

Rate this topic

LB Jetty

I am posting for my brother who does not have an account here. He is currently bidding on a rod from a seller based in MA. The rods look great and he is a "power seller", so he obviously has received positive feedback from people who have dealt with him. My brother's question is this - one of the bidders is upping the ante uncontested and we're wondering if its the seller himself signed on under another name. I keep telling him to just go to a local B&T or builder, but he's dead set on this particular rod because of the wrap. So, to you guys who have used EBay to supplement their tackle, have y'all ever had the same experience? Is it in fact the seller trying to incite interest by signing on under other usernames and drive the price up?

You are over thinking it. You or your brother has to evaluate the maximum value and not exceed that, that way it doesn't matter who or how much the bidding gets to. Do not get caught up in anyone's overvaluation and pay more than its worth because of emotion.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

View PostI am posting for my brother who does not have an account here. He is currently bidding on a rod from a seller based in MA. The rods look great and he is a "power seller", so he obviously has received positive feedback from people who have dealt with him. My brother's question is this - one of the bidders is upping the ante uncontested and we're wondering if its the seller himself signed on under another name. I keep telling him to just go to a local B&T or builder, but he's dead set on this particular rod because of the wrap. So, to you guys who have used EBay to supplement their tackle, have y'all ever had the same experience? Is it in fact the seller trying to incite interest by signing on under other usernames and drive the price up?

What do you mean by upping the ante uncontested? Do you mean the same name has bid numerous times without anyone else bidding. If so I have had people bid on my auctions 4-5 times without anyone else bidding. I don't know why they do it when they should just bid what they are willing to pay and thats it. Maybe they thought there earlier bids were too low and didn't want to get outbid.

it could be that one bidder has put in an automatic bid and anytime someone bids that is below his max, the bid goes up automatically canceling out any bid you make

"The trick is to ignore the self important folks that think being rude is somehow appropriate "TimS

View Postthat place den of thieves and fences.

icon14.gif

Where else can you sell stolen property with absolutely no chance of being prosecuted? cwm13.gif

Tell your buddy to decide how much he is willing to pay for the rod - bid that much and go worry about something else - if he wins, excellent...if he loses, it didn't cost him more than he was willing to spend icon14.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

Surprised this got so many responses so quickly! I warned my brother against using the site because I've heard things like this befall so many users. That being said, he has set his limit and will move on if that is passed. There's just something fishy about a bidder adding $$ to the auction without anyone bidding higher. The consistency with which he/she is doing it leads me to believe it's a scam. Hey, once the price is driven over his threshold, maybe he'll take my advice and contact one of our local builders. It's his lesson to learn I suppose. Thanks guys!

View Postthere is nothing wrong with ebay, imho ebay is excellent. shill bidding is not allowed but does happen, but it shouldnt matter, just pay what you willing and dont pay what your not.

you should revaluate the negative thought, there so many deals to be had on ebay.

Sounds like a vested interest smile.gif

It's a den of thieves and liars - with some legitimate, honest sellers mixed in - Eugene would be among the legitimate, honest sellers smile.gif

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

The seller can not change his or her name to bid on his or her item! A friend can bid on it though! People put in automatic bids,in other words has e-bay bid for them because they can't watch the bidding do to what ever. They tell E-bay that they are willing to spend X amount & if another bidder bids with a higher bid e-bay will automaticly bid higher until he reaches his Max bid! First of all if you no anything about bidding you NEVER bid on an item until the last 20 or so seconds before the auction if over! The Dummy's NO offence to you bid right away & the sharpies watch how much the guy wants it & waits just to the last seconds & puts in his high bid! Never show someone you are interested! If you want it & another guy wants it let him bid,don't you counter bid because the bid will just get higher! Great for the seller but if you don't bid the bidding won't get any higher! WAIT IT OUT! Don't show that your so Excited! I've bought over 300 items & got them in the last few seconds!