Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Sally Hansen

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I've been using Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails to coat epoxy and Tuffleye. When I first open the bottle it goes on thin and gives a nice smooth shiny finish. As I use more and more of it, it becomes thicker and thicker. When it gets down to the last 1/2" in the bottle it gets so thick that little whispy threads begin to form in it and it doesn't flow as nice as I would like. I checked with the "Chief Nail Polish User of the Household" and she said that she just gets a new bottle when it gets to that state. I tried adding some of her nail polish remover to the bottle, but that didn't work too well. It actually clouded the nail polish, so I threw it away. Is there something that you add to it that keeps it flowing smoothly for a longer time.....I think that the relationship that Sally and I have needs a little something to keep it fresh and flowing smoothly....Any suggestions?....Except for trying Dear Abby!

Thanks,

TIM

Tim, it's possible that Sally Hansen Nail Color Remover would thin out the remainder in the bottle. I just checked the back of the card that it comes on and this is what they recommend to remove it. So, I would then assume we could thin it out with the same?

I know what you're talking about with the last 1/4" or so in the bottle getting too thick to use. I've also tried nail polish remover, which is acetone, and as you said, it clouded up.

Thx for posting the question. Now that I actually read the card, I'll check out CVS and try the Nail Color Remover.

Well I do know what ya mean too. I am having that dilemma myself. I have been pouring bottles into a glass applicator with a bodkin tip to apply smaller heads with. As far as thinning...if you have rubbing alcohol, or better yet try denatured alcohol. I use that to thin Loon's Hard Head. At this point, you have nothing to lose. Why not give it a try? I got this tidbit of rubbing alcohol as a thinner from a guy who told me how to thin Loon's Hard Head for painting eyes, and covering them...with a clear finish. I just bought a new bottle of Sally's, and I don't know if I will pour it in, or if it will waste it. I think I will try one of the suggestions just to see what would happen. If it doesn't work, no major loss...the stuff is pretty cheap. Sally's is my favorite for head cement. But if I want to take the time to beautify...I put three coats of Sally's...then I put three coats of Loon's Hard Head that was thinned. All of this goes on the fly turner of course to make the head nice and pretty. Lots of steps to be sure. But the end result is worth it.

I guess I should note about the above statement...I do this instead of epoxy. I don't like using epoxy...but I just tried it again recently on a fly...I prefer using Sally's, then Loon's Hard Head. If I want to be quick, I can use epoxy if I have to. I am thinking of chunking the epoxy after my last experience with the five minute stuff. I cannot seem to make it work without bubbles. That really ticks me off. The smell is horrendous, and so I would prefer not to use the stuff.

Tim:

I do the same thing, overcoat many of my epoxy flies with Sally Hansens HAN.

When I get down to the bottom half of a bottle, yeah, all viscous, I just cap it tightly and hang on to it until I get down to the bottom half of the NEXT bottle...then I pour them together and have a full bottle.cwm40.gif

but I'm a tight-wad and hate wasting stuff...

I haven't noticed any difference at all in the properties of the more visscous old HAN, just that it's a little slow-flowing...

-- doug

I to don't understand why you would coat Epoxy or tuffleye with Nail Polish headscratch.gif but that's another post. It's not just Sally Hanson that does that. I have used every NP I found,Even that Glitter polish. It seems to me that the air gets to the polish & hardens it up. I to like that pretty head & don't always want to use the epoxy all of the time. Its OK if your tying in bulk & are tying a bunch at a time but nail polish works just as well. I also like to put 5 or so coats on my flies. I know through experence I will coat say 1/2 dozen at a time & put them on the dryer wheel & repeat.I know I keep the top off the polish for some time ( Just being a pain screwing it on & off all the time ) Guess it causes it to harden. I get the cheap stuff in the Dollar store,works just the same if not better. Like I said I have used Sally,Hard as Hull, Head Cement ETC. Bottom line The Lady was right when it gets tacky,Chuck it, All those thinners ETC never work like you want them to!

Another good tip theres a product called Loons UV Knot Sence! I bought a little UV Flash lite ( Key Chain Style ) Like the ones you get in the tuffleye set UV only smaller & use the Knot Sence to make a nice head on a fly. UV knot sence is great for many things! When coating knots,tying leaders or fly line to backing.Great stuff. It won't harden unless you use the UV lite or take it out side in the sun. Good luck Keep those caps on Tight LOL

Tim,

There are different types of head cement, and other goopy stuff used in tying so you have to know which type you're using to get the right thinner. Always test with a small drop to make sure it doesn't go cloudy to make sure you've matched up the type of head cement or other stuff with the right thinner.

Head cements are usually either "deep penetrating" nitrocellulose based or water based.

Lacquer based head cement with that nail polish smell can be thinned with Lacquer Thinner from a hardware store.

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails- acetone, don't over do it, use just a few drops

Water based head cement (like Loon Hard Head) can be thinned with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) ... or vodka in the event of an emergency (since it's colorless)

Vinyl based stuff (Daves Flexament, Softex)- can be thinned with Toluene or Xylene. To make your own, buy Household Goop in the toothpaste type tube and add either solvent.

Epoxy can be thinned with acetone or alcohol.

Hope this helps.

Mark

View PostTim,

There are different types of head cement, and other goopy stuff used in tying so you have to know which type you're using to get the right thinner. Always test with a small drop to make sure it doesn't go cloudy to make sure you've matched up the type of head cement or other stuff with the right thinner.

Head cements are usually either "deep penetrating" nitrocellulose based or water based.

Lacquer based head cement with that nail polish smell can be thinned with Lacquer Thinner from a hardware store.

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails- acetone, don't over do it, use just a few drops

Water based head cement (like Loon Hard Head) can be thinned with rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) ... or vodka in the event of an emergency (since it's colorless)

Vinyl based stuff (Daves Flexament, Softex)- can be thinned with Toluene or Xylene. To make your own, buy Household Goop in the toothpaste type tube and add either solvent.

Epoxy can be thinned with acetone or alcohol.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Great info Marksmile.gif

And to add from my notes re Goop mixes: Toluene mix dries faster than Xylene, so I use Xylene for a Flexement substitute and Toluene when making a softex substitute.

I'm back in love with Sally Hansen! heart.gif When I gave the tired old Sally some liquid refreshments (acetone in this case) she perked right up and started acting all young and fresh once again!....Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions. I added 8 drops to the bottle that had about 1/2" left in it. I tried it out on some Tuffleye and it went on smoothly. It's still more viscous than the new bottle that I just opened up this morning, but it's working fine. I may thin it a little more later.

Peregrines,I've saved your post to refer back to in case I need to tinker with any of the adhesives. That was very informative and timely. I'm getting a little low on Flexament and I have a bottle of Flexament Thinner. I may just see if I can find some Goop in a tube and experiment a little. The label on Flexament Thinner doesn't say what it is. Based on Rogerstg's post I guess it's xylene. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Thanks again everyone for all your help. All this good information is even better than I had hoped for.

Thanks,

TIM

Just note that Toluene is a very rough chemical, be very very careful with it. Look up a MSDS on it and you will see what I mean.

View PostGreat info Marksmile.gif

And to add from my notes re Goop mixes: Toluene mix dries faster than Xylene, so I use Xylene for a Flexement substitute and Toluene when making a softex substitute.