Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyefish

Rotor Cuff

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I have had bought shoulders done. You will not be able to fish 8 & bait till the fall.

I scheduled my surgery in November this way I had at lest 6 months. Do not worry about fishing till the fall. You will be in a lot of pain the first week. If you have a recliner, that is were you will sleep. Make sure that you do the physical therapy after. Remind yourself that if you ripe the cuff before it is healed right the pain will be 3X as worse. It takes from 1 year to 18 months to be completely healed.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

PETE

in 2004 i was hit by a pickup truck doing 40 mph,while walking...my shoulder was violently dislocated and as i result my rotator cuff and my labrum were torn...needless to say i had open surgery(october no less) and was supposed to be in a sling for 4-6 weeks.

I took zero pain killers and was plugging the beach 11 days later....

piece of cake..being young and healthy helps..good luck & make sure you get a great surgeon and do as much physical therapy that they will prescribe

my shoulder is about 95% now and rarely ever am reminded of it.

if your having arthroscopic surgery on only your rotator cuff,you will be fine..

Your recover will depend a lot on whether you get 'frozen shoulder' or not. Frozen shoulder is a *****, it adds a lot of pain and lengthens the recovery time. Search it on the Net so you will have some info on it.

Whichever way don't rush the healing process. Better to miss a few months of fishing than to miss it forever because you wen't patient. Good Luck and get well soon

i've got a torn left rotator cuff muscle (supraspinatus) which one did you tear, there are four of them. How badly did you tear it or the tendons and ligaments attaching them. What kind of surgery. Surgery can mean just about anything from cleaning up a few frayed ends to major reconstruction.

Also depending on how you injured it, when they go in they might find the labrum torn as well as it doesn't always show up on the mris. The shoulder is a pretty complex joint, so there is no simple answer.

Most of the people I know who've gone through some kind of reconstruction have gone through months an months of rehab

Not trying to be a wiseass but you've given absolutely no useful information regarding the type of surgery so any replies you get are really just a shot in the dark cwm15.gifshaky.gif

So many variables for different people. I haven't personally heard of anyone having sucess with micro-surgery. I tore out just about all the tendons during big game season two years ago. Couldn't raise my right hand unaided to me chin before surgery..After two shots at it and installing a patch to extend the tendons, plus months of rehab..I could at first scratch me nose, then the head and finally could raise it high 'nuff over my head last year to sling a surf stick...gotta do some more streatching excercises fore I get hot and heavy inta the suds this year..I dunno the ortho guy said I was his posterboy for the procedure...all I know was it was a lotta work and it took a long time to get not quite to where I was fore I loused it up in the first place...donchaknow? *S*

I've had 2 done. Even in the worst case you should be good to go gentily by summer with the right PT. You won't be 100% for a year. Do PT right and often...it's as or more important than the surgery.

never had surgery, but i injured it during baseball in highschool and it was a recurrent thing every year. just make sure you do the PT exercises because they DO help, even if they seem pointless, and give it plenty of rest too (thats what the doc told me but i blew it off. i should have listened)

I had my right RC, bicep tendon and acromion bone repaired a year ago this month. I made trout season on april 1, but couldn't use a fly rod.

By Memorial day I was on the Cape throwing plugs and tins.

through June July and August I swam 30 laps a day in a NCAA pool 5 days a week.

In Sept I was good for 2 weeks of fishing the backside beaches with the aid of tylenol to calm it down afterwards. I switched down to medium weight 9'conventionals from 11' spinning (the different casting motion helps)

Deer season was good and the recoil didn't hurt at all, but I needed help for the drags.

The most painful, believe it or not, is using a computer mouse for extended periods. I switched to an optical track ball, but it still aches after a hour or so.

Good luck--do the PT, take the drugs and be patient.

Well surgery is behind me and I wish the therapy would begin. Just sitting around with my arm in a sling is going to drive me nuts. Well at least next week I will be able to drive again, I will be putting my time in at the beach this year looking for some nice structure and rips

I think that will be the only positive to come from this surgery time to scout the beach and time to spend writing my book.