Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
striper1322

mono line for fresh water?

32 posts in this topic

I use braid and mono. No problem using mono in freshwater. Tell us what kind of fishing you will be doing and what kind of reels you will be using, we can give you some choices of lines to use.

Of course! What do you think everyone used before braid?

Trilene XL is always a good fresh water choice and available everywhere.

I still use mono for almost all freshwater fishing. I use braid a lot in the salt.

View PostI use mono almost all the time as well.

I used to be a Trilene XL user for many years, but I switched to Sufix Elite and I won't be going back.

sufix seige and elite is all i use! ill never go back to any different line again..

sufix users, go to the sufix's website.. theres a refund thing you can print.. you get $3 off for every line u buy.. great deal!

View Postsufix seige and elite is all i use! ill never go back to any different line again..

sufix users, go to the sufix's website.. theres a refund thing you can print.. you get $3 off for every line u buy.. great deal!

OK,convince me. Why should I switch?What makes Sufix superior to Trilene XL?

View PostOK,convince me. Why should I switch?What makes Sufix superior to Trilene XL?

I've used trilene and its an ok line.. Sufix to me is much better, on my baitcasters and spinning reels.. casts so much furthur and has barely any memory...

I was a long time user of Trilene XL but switched to Trilene Maxx. Very nice mono for spinning 6lb-10lb. Just as limp as XL but stronger. My favorite for 6lb-8lb was IronSilk but of course they had to discontinue itmad.gif.

I've tried mono from stren,triple fish, P line, and a host of others. I think Trilene Maxx is the best over all.

Has a very good combination of properties.

View PostOK,convince me. Why should I switch?What makes Sufix superior to Trilene XL?

My experience with Sufix Elite 6-8-10-12#:

It comes off the spool smooth, round, and with less twist.

It has a higher quality feel between the finger tips. No flat spots like XL often is littered with. (They wrap it on the spool near perfectly which likely has something to do with this)

It casts as well or better than XL

I believe it is rated at a smaller diameter which would = more distance and more capacity. (This may or may not have an effect based on the reel capacity and the line size you use. I use Shimano 1000's with 6# and 8# line and feel that it does. It is EXCELLENT in these sizes on the Shimano Stradic FI 1000)

It handles great, and maintains that smooth round feel until I change it out because my spool is too low.

Online Tests:

Also, I've seen some tests done on a popular online review site where

12 # XL broke at the knot at 11.8# of pressure.

12 # Elite broke at 20# pounds of pressure, and not always at the knot either.

(These tests were done in seperate articles, but the data is comparable)

I saw these test results this winter and I had already been won over, and that cements it for me.