Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skitter

Plug/Lure Color Question For Rhody Fishers

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

A few years or more back I heard something about the color bone over orange being very effective at times in RI.

Anyone care to speculate why this is so? Does it mimic specific bait of some kind or does the RI waters and their textures make this a hot color combo?

Thanks and have a great season beers.gif

i have always used white,,, white with red head ,,, yellow,,,parrot and white with blue ... .. bone over orange ?? is orange the bottom ?

I sorta agree with Animal. Use yellow, if it doesn't work try a different yellow plug.wink.gif

Although I have to admit, I have a soft spot for mackeral toobiggrin.gif

The orange/bone combination you speak of works great on Creamsickles, but you have to eat them fast. They melt, so they won't last long in a plugbag.headscratch.gif

Thanks guys but I was looking for input on the specific color combo related to what I had heard previously.

In general I like to toss plugs that are mostly white even at night but have the usual wide range of options though yellow is right up there with white.

Is it SPRING yet???????????

Skitter, I've never owned a plug of that color, maybe I should. What particular style of plugs were you referring to? Danny's? darters?poppers? needles?

skitter i dont fish RI but i fish close, and similar water. orange is always a good color, especially black over orange. never fished bone over orange, but i'd try. i think on a bright night that'd look like a searobin, or even cunner to a bass.

View PostSkitter, I've never owned a plug of that color, maybe I should. What particular style of plugs were you referring to? Danny's? darters?poppers? needles?

Stewie smile.gif

Anything that moves slowly underwater or....

Some years back I killed them at BP with an old Rebel Sea Gar bone over orange which is a topwater swum slowly with twitches very early am.

But I think the best is pearl white or yellow and white and more easily available unless you build and paint.

Maybe a bottle repaint?wink.gif Oh. I have a slopehead danny that is in desperate need of a repaint. Funny thing, I just scored some really tough plastic for lips to give to Chuckie, it is almond, pretty close to bone. We were joking about almond colored plugs the other night.

Jimmy heart.gifsmile.gif

I`m guessing like so many other colors or combinations thereof that to a Striper and in the water its looks different than to us.

Bright metallic blue over bright metallic green over cream white is a KILLER for early herring spring time...pikies and dannys.... go figure.

Sure doesn't sound like a popular color combo and that would negate whatever you heard as far as I am concerned.... If it were effective, wouldn't it likely be popular headscratch.gif

The only lure I have evr owned in that scheme was a Roberts Ranger....