Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bighead

Did he promise to cure cancer?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

View Postwhy not? it goes along well with the other gazillion things he has promised.

His speech was so slick and soothing I almost forgot he was talking about imaginary money.

View PostHis speech was so slick and soothing I almost forgot he was talking about imaginary money.

..........can you say PIMP?

View Postand everyone goes to colludge

.........Thanx Julio ! wink.gif

The cure for cancer comes when he kicks into "MESSIAH" mode. biggrin.gif

Just a few fact, did you know that Richard Nixon did the same thing in 1971. Also, Obama is supporting continued funding for NIH to support ongoing research.

Now, get this, I work in the field, yes, i am a researcher i oncology, with the new class of kinase (enzyme) specific drugs that are being developed, there are already cures for certain types of cancer and more cures for other types of cancer in the not to distant future, that is, as long as funding remains stable or is increased.

Just sayin. wink.gif

View PostJust a few fact, did you know that Richard Nixon did the same thing in 1971. Also, Obama is supporting continued funding for NIH to support ongoing research.

Now, get this, I work in the field, yes, i am a researcher i oncology, with the new class of kinase (enzyme) specific drugs that are being developed, there are already cures for certain types of cancer and more cures for other types of cancer in the not to distant future, that is, as long as funding remains stable or is increased.

Just sayin. wink.gif

I hope so, that would be great

View PostI hope so, that would be great

It actually is a reality.

look at Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma for instance, the survival rate was very very low a few years ago, now with select inhibitors such as Rituxan®, the survival rate has has increased dramatically even though the number of cases in the US has increased as well.

Rituxan works by binding to a particular protein (the CD20 antigen) on the surface of normal and malignant B-cells. From there, it recruits the body's natural defenses to attack and kill the marked B-cells. Stem cells (B-cell progenitors) in bone marrow lack the CD20 antigen, allowing healthy B-cells to regenerate after treatment and return to normal levels.

This is the type of research we are doing and the clinical outcomes should be huge. But, it takes a long long time to get drugs to market.

I, for one, am relieved he did mention cancer and working toward a cure. For the past 20 years, it seems to always be about AIDs. Cancer is a huge problem compared to AIDs. Now if Obama follows through on this is another story, but at least he wants to go after something that effects a heck of a lot more people than AIDs does.

View PostI, for one, am relieved he did mention cancer and working toward a cure. For the past 20 years, it seems to always be about AIDs. Cancer is a huge problem compared to AIDs. Now if Obama follows through on this is another story, but at least he wants to go after something that effects a heck of a lot more people than AIDs does.

I agree whole heartedly. In the US almost every person has been affected in one way or another by cancer. AIDs, well, unless you live in Africa, not so much.

Like i said in the previous post, if Obama continues or increases NIH funding, yes, there will be more cures for different types of cancer in the coming years, so he ain't lying when he said what he said. wink.gif