Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jkhom

steel shot

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I was at a presentation by DJ and he was talking about loading plugs.

I want to try this technique but haven't bee able to find the steel shot.

Does anybody know where I can get Number 8 steel shot?

Size does not matter- it is the amount of weight you add that matters.

Walmart has Daisy BBs for BB guns and they are cheap. I believe 30 is roughly a 1/2oz., but you could check this on a cheap scale.

You can find steel shot at any gun shop that sells supplies to guys who reload their own shotgun shells.

Also effective, but without the rattle of BBs, is mineral oil. 10-12cc (1cc = 1mL = 1g) is about a 1/2oz., and a lifetime supply bottle at the pharmacy is just a couple bucks. You can use one of these measuring spoons to get the right amount. Then use a needless syringe to inject it through a hole you drill or melt in the plug.

medspoon4.jpg

View PostI was at a presentation by DJ and he was talking about loading plugs.

I want to try this technique but haven't bee able to find the steel shot.

Does anybody know where I can get Number 8 steel shot?

Walmart sells steel ammo for sling shots. They're 1/4" steel balls. They weigh in at appx. 2 gms.

Buy a cheap box of Target loads. Cut off the top and pour the shot out. Lead is heavier than steel and you don't need as much! Eights and nines are for trap and skeet. I'm not even sure the sell #8 steel shot.

Steel shot is usually found in duck loads. I've never seen #8 steel. I used #2 steel when duck hunting. I also shot a lot of trap and used #8 lead shot. Number 8 is pretty small, I'm not sure what it would be used for. I don't think duck hunting. I just gave someone #2 steel to load a bomber. Even #2 shot isn't real big. I have some and can measure it if you would like. Did you want to make a rattle or just use it to load a plug? If you want some #2 steel, PM me and I'll put some in an envelope and mail it to you. I live in NJ also.

I could be way off, but the size of the shot[dia] if small will pack tighter into a small space given there's less wasted space between the shot,,as a larger dia you get more wasted space between the shot.

I have used #7 in superstrike needles for years and never had a problem. I load them to different weights all in the rear chamber. This is steal shot i believe i use and its never been an issue.

if you would like i can look to see where i bought it but its a 10# bag and its enough for me and my fishing buddies for the next 30 years.