Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed422

High End Cookware Worth it?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

So I'm thinking about investing in some all clad or something in that tier. I feel like the cookware I use has no medium heat. It is only low or high. If I get something nicer will this help my problem? I'm using a gas stove. Thanks.

Is top line cookware worth it?

In a word... YES!

As for having low or high heat only?

That is a user error most likely, but if you have post with paper thin bottoms, like Revere Ware, it is hard to get even decent heat control without an airspace between the heat and the pan.

The "Flame Tamer' can be a big help here.

High end cook wear is like high end tackle, both get the job done, just better some times. My brother, who is a chef in NYC uses All-Clad, gas stove and flat-top. I used Calphalon on a gas stove, both good stuff. IMO it's worth it.

Yes, All Clad IS All That!! icon14.gificon14.gif

I'm four months into using my set and I wish I had bought it ten years ago.

That said, you might also look at some of the copycats -- EmerilWare looked pretty close to All Clad but I believe it's made offshore in China.

Here's the thread from when I went shopping for my new set

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...highlight=clad

I have an ecclectic bunch of pots. All Clad steel unsurpassed for putting a nice sear on. The one you'd want for sole meuniere. Cheap cast iron still do a terrific job frying chickens, Stock pots are nice if heavy/heavy bottom but probably not where you need to spend $120. Non-stick- still haven't found anything better than Anolon for $60/70 but some cheaper are good. Have an expensive non-stick that was junk from new. The money pots that see the most action are Le Creuset, mostly from TJ Max at significant discounts. They do a lot well

all clad is all that- the only piece i have is a braiser, and i use it a lot

i also use older cast iron

i wouldn't spring for a whole set because you just don't need to spend a lot of money on something you are going to cook frozen peas in now and then

also, a cheap carbon steel wok is better than any high end thing somebody might try to sell you

and a heat diffuser to put between the flame and the pot sees a lot of use at my house

View Postall clad is all that- the only piece i have is a braiser, and i use it a lot

i also use older cast iron

i wouldn't spring for a whole set because you just don't need to spend a lot of money on something you are going to cook frozen peas in now and then

also, a cheap carbon steel wok is better than any high end thing somebody might try to sell you

and a heat diffuser to put between the flame and the pot sees a lot of use at my house

I just looked up the heat diffuser sounds like a good investment. Never used one....

All Clad rocks, Crapathon rots. My Crapathon One set has deteriorated badly with chips, dents, warped bottoms etc and it never heated evenly to begin with. The All Clad pieces I bought are simply phenomenal. All Clad costs more, but in my book the Crapathon was more expensive as it now sits on a shelf in the garage collecting dust.

so your saying i should get calphalon huhsmile.gif

My big frying pan is even worse the crapathan its like a 20 dollar target chit brand. This was bought when I was just a little into cooking, now that it's almost at the same obsession as fishing I need to move up in the worldsmile.gif Now if someone would pay my cable and electric bill I will get a few all clad piecesbeers.gif

I couldn't justify spending the $$ for All Clad so I bought a stainless steel set of pots and pans from Costco several years ago. Great price and surprisingly good quality.

A few months ago in the waning stages of an auction (I'm talkin' 1245 AM down to the last two tables) the auctioneer pulls out two boxes from under a table. Assorted kitchen 'stuff', stainless steel utensils, Chef's choice electric kettle, Kitchen Aide blender and an assortment of All Clad pots, sauce pans, steamers, 4 qt copper core Braiser with a copper lid, stock pots and stainless steel nesting bowls. There were oven mitts, kitchen towels and a cluster of other kitchen utensils strewn all over everything. I got lucky and picked up both boxes for $90.00.

Several of the pieces were from Williams and Sonoma. I checked the pots for warping and ended up taking the larger brasier back to Williams and Sonoma.

I did the right thing and told the manager exactly how I happened to own that piece. She told me that all clad had a lifetime guarantee. She then looked up the skew number and gave me gift card for $365.00 because they didn't have a replacement in stock. smile.gif

They are now my everyday cookware. I wouldn't hesitate to buy all clad if I need something down the road.

View PostI couldn't justify spending the $$ for All Clad so I bought a stainless steel set of pots and pans from Costco several years ago. Great price and surprisingly good quality.

A few months ago in the waning stages of an auction (I'm talkin' 1245 AM down to the last two tables) the auctioneer pulls out two boxes from under a table. Assorted kitchen 'stuff', stainless steel utensils, Chef's choice electric kettle, Kitchen Aide blender and an assortment of All Clad pots, sauce pans, steamers, 4 qt copper core Braiser with a copper lid, stock pots and stainless steel nesting bowls. There were oven mitts, kitchen towels and a cluster of other kitchen utensils strewn all over everything. I got lucky and picked up both boxes for $90.00.

Several of the pieces were from Williams and Sonoma. I checked the pots for warping and ended up taking the larger brasier back to Williams and Sonoma.

I did the right thing and told the manager exactly how I happened to own that piece. She told me that all clad had a lifetime guarantee. She then looked up the skew number and gave me gift card for $365.00 because they didn't have a replacement in stock. smile.gif

They are now my everyday cookware. I wouldn't hesitate to buy all clad if I need something down the road.

I think I am going to just be mad at you!!tongue.gifcwm27.gif Wow, what an awesome deal!!!clapping.gif

View PostI just looked up the heat diffuser sounds like a good investment. Never used one....

it really takes the curse off of leaving a pot to simmer

i have NEVER had anything stick to the bottom of a pot while using one

and for making a stock, you don't want boiling, you want simmering

each and every time i cook something on a stovetop that needs to go a while on low heat i use it- stick around long enough to stabilize the flame/cooking rate, get a mental picture of how much liquid you have, and you are home free to do whatever the hell you want in the meantime