Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

A canal conundrum. What's your verdict?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

This has happened to everyone at one time or another.

You're standing at the water's edge, or in the water, tossing plugs at the occasional breaking fish. Minding your own business, enjoying the morning.

Suddenly, along comes someone, either on foot of bicycle. They watch you a moment, see a fish break, and instantly start throwing off the service road, right over your head. All of a sudden, you're timing your casts around them, and it's just not fun anymore, and you're P!$$ed.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with tossing off the service road. But, if there's a guy there already, don't you owe it to him to move on, and find another spot?confused.gif

This happens everywhere to be honest.

The worst is that they will sit in the car, they see you arrive in a car, they see you setup, then they get out of their car and go right in front of you and start tossing and make you move.......headscratch.gif

have had it happen to me other places and it has always facilitated a much-needed conversation wink.gif

I have no problem working with someone (or a group for that matter) even if it greatly effects the amount of time my bucktail/plug is actually in the water but there isnt a more disrespectful thing a person can do...

Happens all the time.

A number of them posts on SOL and also lurk on SOL.

These guys are not only inconsiderate of others but they are clueless about the danger they pose to others in the event they backlash their cast when casting over your head. I can guarantee if I was ever hit in the head by a plug cast from behind me, I would drown them in legal fees. These guys are well known by the regulars who post here and who fish the Canal. Some are members of the same family whereas others are unrelated to each other.

I've cut the line of a well known fishermen who attempted to cast over my head from the service road.. He was plugging to breaking fish. I put on a jig, cast over his line, reeled it in and cut his line. Ya, he was peeode and had a few angry words to say after he lost his $20 plug, but I can assure you that he will not try casting next to, or over me, ever again.

On a rare occasion, I've taken pity on an idiot who put himself in my back pocket and began to cast at breaking fish. Guy was TWO FEET away from me. mad.gif In that case, I just picked up my gear, said a few four letter words, hopped on my bike and headed east. I'll let the idiot indentify himself if he has the gonads to do so.

When I was a "greenhorn" I made a similar mistake, but removed myself because I knew I wasin the wrong. I would give ONE verbal warning (your choice of words) and if they don't get the hint, start collecting plugs.

I never, and I repeat NEVER crowd others unless invited to fish along with them. It's just bad karma to step on someone elses shirt tail and even worse to be casting ove their heads!

View Postreel in their rod smile.gif

I agree with Ditch. I know it was a sore subject for some but when you warm someone a few too many times, its hard to resist on trying to set the situation straight. Last year, I had a similar situation with a group of guys that clearly didn't speak english or understand it. They would just sit there and wait for me to pull in fish (nothing special just schoolies) and even before I could blink I would see a chunk of bait with a decent sized 3 oz sinker getting catapolted over my head. To make matters worse, when I would pull up a smallie, a huge spot light would come on and I'd hear foot steps making their way over to see what the hell was on the hook. un freakin real

this subject matter has been discussed here and elswhere over many years of deliberations. Placing a name on those that continue this disregard of common sense does not provide any real resolution to the problem.

Making those offenders names known in the end only makes for more problemsbiggrin.gif That is not to say that when it happens you sort of make it known like some of us have done in the past that is not an acceptable practice to be following.cwm15.gif

Besides I am sure you know more then you have eluded tobiggrin.gif

It depends how big he is. I have fished then canal for 3 or 4 years now, and thankfully haven't had this happen to me yet. I would probably move though, since I value the back of my skull.