Sudsy

Which reel casts farther

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Both with levelwind

Abu 6500 mag Elite

or

Abu 6500cs Chrome Rocket

Is the Chrome Rockets cast control as easy to adjust as sliding the bar on the Mag Elite or is it a take apart and mess with those fiber brake blocks ordeal ?

You can't compare a CT reel and a CS reel.. The stock levelwind system will cut down on your distance.. I might be mistaking but i dont think the rocket has the stock speed bushing. That alone can make all the difference in my opinion. These reels are probably about 80% identical. The slide mag is the biggest difference in the two reels (comparing the CT versions). Im not a big fame on slide mags, but any mag in my opinion will out perform the tension knobs alone..

my guess is that if you have the chrome rocket tuned correctly for your application, distance would be basically the same...

i'm a believer that reels have very little impact on casting distance.. maybe 10% of the equation with the rod and the operator being the other 90%... i've found that my distance increases when i slow my reels down and only have to think about what the rod is doing.

I'm trying to figure out why the chrome rocket is so much more expensive then the Mag Elite

Bling factor only ??

chromed brass sideplates.

compared to painted aluminum ones.

MEs cast further then CRs imo.

MEs are also lighter in weight then CRs

CRs are more scratch resistant..

so its a give or take game here.

Sudys

All things being equal with stock reels right out of the box I give the distance edge to the rocket. The mag elite is way over braked with its 4 rare earth magnets and brake blocks as opposed to just the brake blocks of the rocket.

I have always thought the elites to be much slower

View PostThe mag elite is way over braked with its 4 rare earth magnets and brake blocks

You can always take the blocks and a couple magnets out...

View Postchromed brass sideplates.

compared to painted aluminum ones.

MEs cast further then CRs imo.

MEs are also lighter in weight then CRs

CRs are more scratch resistant..

so its a give or take game here.

And the Brass sideplates of the CR is corrosion resistant. Brass will not rust.

View PostAnd the Brass sideplates of the CR is corrosion resistant. Brass will not rust.

Aluminium doesn't rust either.....headscratch.gif

In a fishing application the Mag Elite is the better caster unless you need a clicker then your SOL. If you need a clicker then go with the Chrome Rocket. The slidy mag always gets a bad rap. I been fishing these reels for ever and have never moved the mag slider by mistake.

View PostAluminium doesn't rust either.....headscratch.gif

No it will not rust but it will corrode and pit if the protective paint or anondizing is damaged as can be seen in older Abu's that were not properly cared for. It can also have a reaction with steel and oxidize causing a lot of trouble. Happens a lot with offshore reel studs/screws getting stuck into the frame, but was also a problem with the Abu Morrum series of reels with the machined aluminum frame. As long as the protective coating is not dameged it should not be a problem but screw holes are the main area where the protection wears off quickly and problems first arise. Be sure to coat all screws/studs going into aluminum with grease as added protection.

I agree with the above posts that the Mag Elite will throw further than any other stock reel.

John

View PostAluminium doesn't rust either.....headscratch.gif

In a fishing application the Mag Elite is the better caster unless you need a clicker then your SOL. If you need a clicker then go with the Chrome Rocket. The slidy mag always gets a bad rap. I been fishing these reels for ever and have never moved the mag slider by mistake.

my mag elite.. has a clicker.. ~;D)

I've used both and I love them both.heart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

Chrome Rocket's price difference mostly comes from Brass material used and bling factortongue.gif as far as I can see.

Though, their best comes out from different situations IMHO.

You can clean the entire platoon bathroom with toothbrush but I much rather use sth. else, if you know what I mean.

So here is what I do with them.

CS ME: Plugging use, pretty much. In many cases, I find that I can cast plugs often further and much easier with ME. It is just so perfect for on the spot adjustments for the switches like from a needle to pikie.

Rocket (Chrome): Fixed weight lead+lure/bait. My favorite use of Rocket series reel is casting practice with small amount of Yellow Rocket oil in them or perching (on rougher west cost water, 2-3 oz lead and grub) targeting some distance holes...

With same upgrades (ceramic pawl/30lb braid/abec5/lighter oil...) on both reels which is setting I mostly am used to, I barely see much distance difference using same rod, line, weight (Conoflex Nevada 13, 30lb braid and 3 oz.)

They both cast very well and far with just a little bit of distance edge on Rocket side (oil tuning takes a while though).

Keep in mind that all this is based on fishing application, not with tournament background.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

View Postmy mag elite.. has a clicker.. ~;D)

And your point is????? Don't confuse people who don't know, the original green CT Mag Elite did not have a clicker...