Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJTramcar

Cleaning your ducts

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Recently, we have been seeing many flyers come for having all the air ducts cleaned in our home. Is this really necessary. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone I know having this done. I change the furnace filter ever 3 months with a good filter and while it traps dust, dosn't look too bad.

I removed some duct work that was only about 5 years old or so. I was surprised at how much junk was inside. Regardless of how good your filter is, mold can get a foothold regardless. Its worth the cleaning just to remove the mold.

Take one of your elbows off at the bottom of a verticle run and see what lays in there.Yuckee.

whole house runs about 400.00,sanitizer included.If you are not mechanicaly inclined,have a friend open some ducts and see.You'll probably need it.

as far as the 90 price,kooky.gif

Normal price struture is like 250 for main duct,return duct and 10 registers

when you count up your registers(supply and return)you find more like 20.

So then they say 20 bucks for each register after.

there is no reason in the world the complete price should be more then 450-500.

Also,if the company shows up with a regular shop vac,show them the door.

They should have a giant shop vac on a flat bed truck.

as said before,open some points like a register and a bottom elbow of a verticle run and see how bad.

I'd say DO IT

I just bought my first home and had the ducts cleaned out. Whoever was living in\\renting the house before me didn't have a furnace filter in place. Also at one point someone had dogs in the house. Being I have allergies, it made sense to do it. I used a company called Advanced (google them) that has a bunch of locations in NJ. They come out with a huge truck that has a vacuum built into it...they hook that up to the duct by the furnace and from each register they blow everything down to the vac. The guy also filled up a shopvac almost twice since one of the registers was clogged up bigtime. Overall he spent about 2-3 hours. He finished by spraying sanitizer down the ducts. I think it ran me around $350.

View PostI just bought my first home and had the ducts cleaned out. Whoever was living in\\renting the house before me didn't have a furnace filter in place. Also at one point someone had dogs in the house. Being I have allergies, it made sense to do it. I used a company called Advanced (google them) that has a bunch of locations in NJ. They come out with a huge truck that has a vacuum built into it...they hook that up to the duct by the furnace and from each register they blow everything down to the vac. The guy also filled up a shopvac almost twice since one of the registers was clogged up bigtime. Overall he spent about 2-3 hours. He finished by spraying sanitizer down the ducts. I think it ran me around $350.

I used the same company and was very pleased with their service.

I own a cleaning company and have done duct work. $90 whole house special is a bait and switch ad. The company running the full page ad in the newspaper was busted by the IRS. Seems they paid the employees as independant contractors but they were not.

The big vaccum trucks are not necessary to do this work. The new portables do an amazing job. Try to get a contractor that has the fiber optic camera, that way you see what the job looks like when its finished.

As for mold growing in the ducts, its a marketing farce. Mold needs to eat organic material and needs moisture. Niether live in your ducts unless you had a fire or flood.

Buy the expensive filters they usually want to sell you. You wont believe the difference they make.

A good price is $175 for the main, the return and upto 10 ducts, then its usually up to around $20 each adtl. register.Thats for a single system house,floor or wall ducts and the unit in the basement. Double or triple the price if the registers are high on the wall or in the cieling and the units in the attic.Also expect a higher price in older house where the registers have multiple coats of paint and the screws are buried. Takes alot of extra time to open them up.

View PostI used the same company and was very pleased with their service.

View PostI just bought my first home and had the ducts cleaned out. Whoever was living in\\renting the house before me didn't have a furnace filter in place. Also at one point someone had dogs in the house. Being I have allergies, it made sense to do it. I used a company called Advanced (google them) that has a bunch of locations in NJ. They come out with a huge truck that has a vacuum built into it...they hook that up to the duct by the furnace and from each register they blow everything down to the vac. The guy also filled up a shopvac almost twice since one of the registers was clogged up bigtime. Overall he spent about 2-3 hours. He finished by spraying sanitizer down the ducts. I think it ran me around $350.

This is the proper way to do it. A guy who cleans the ducts and has the machine 'outside" the house. Everything is flushed out of the ducts and furnace out to the truck plus it does a better job then the handheld machine. The price is about right, $300-$400 that should include sanitzing as well. You should clean your ducts every 3 yrs IMO. Again, what TerryNJ did to his home is the correct way to clean the ducts. For $90 you wont get what you pay for i can tell you that. 1st hand knowledge of this FYI.

I have a daughter with asthma and for all of you who have kids with asthma should do this.

I had this done about 10 years ago....Cost me about 300 bucks n change. They cut a 12" square panel out of my Main Duct. Punched holes in all of the rest. Hooked up a giant Shop Vac to the cut section of main, then placed a rubber hose in the other holes with enough compressed air to cause the hoses to flail around and beat up on the ducts.

At the end of the process the process they got 1/2 of a 55 gallon drum of ugly dust bunnies, and other assorted crap like loose change toys and insects. It was gross!!! They then let me inspect the job afterwards and the inside of the ducts looked like they had been polished!! After I was satisfied they patched up the ductwork and capped all the holes. They then ran my furnace and pumped Chlorine Dioxide through the system to sanitize the ducts. I had to leave the house for 1 hr till the stuff dissapates.

Those guys that come with a shop vac and clean your registers for 10-15 bucks a register are just stealing your money....your ducts are still filthy! You think they are doing a good job because of all the yucky black liquid in the shop vac.