Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breezybass

braking on a jeep grand cherokee

22 posts in this topic

ABS is great on dry pavement and wet pavement, BUT it stinks in snow as you want the tires to lock up a bit to dig down into the snow to get to the street, but instead you can't so you keep slipping on a thin layer of snow...its a love/hate relatiionship.

Jeeps are known for high speed (50 mph+) rotor pulsations.

Steering wheel pulsation usually indicates front rotors may require resurfacing or replacement,whereas pulsation in the pedal(not abs pulsation) indicates the rear rotors require attention.

Also check your tire pressures and make sure they are even.

I also have been having the same situation on my 02 grand cherokee. Fast braking at highway speeds leads to pedal pulsation and I know its NOT the ABS pulsation. Now, to find a trusty mechanic in my new town Patchogue, LI.

Not saying it is for sure, but you'd be surprised what an overactive ABS system can do.

I had a Mazda Protege years back that was really souped up. One unintended side effect of the way I set up the suspension was that when taking sharp, hard corners at speed the inside rear wheel would lift off the pavement.

If you happened to brake (ie. entering a side street or parking lot fast) at that moment, the ABS would go beserk because that wheel in the air wasn't doing what the three on the ground were doing. The net effect was that you basically lost the brakes until that wheel got back on the ground.

Of course you can't really see the fact that the wheel is off the ground from the driver's seat (we're talking inches, not like the car was going to turn over) so it took a little while to figure out what the heck was happening!

View PostJeeps are known for high speed (50 mph+) rotor pulsations.

Steering wheel pulsation usually indicates front rotors may require resurfacing or replacement,whereas pulsation in the pedal(not abs pulsation) indicates the rear rotors require attention.

Also check your tire pressures and make sure they are even.

This is right on mark...wink.gif . Not only do I drive a Grand, I also work for Chrysler/Dodge and deal with that concern everyday.....!!!!!

Teddy

You guys with the Jeeps that are warping brake rotors need to buy torque wrenches.

All the lugs need to be HAND TORQUED period. If an air gun is used, even with "torque sticks" your rotors will warp again.

So it becomes a personal choice, spend 5 minutes after you replace your rotors & brakes, and another 5 minutes when your tires are rotated. If your lugs are loosened for any reason, hand torque them back on.

I don't know why jeep rotors warp more than others, but they do.headscratch.gif

You can prevent it.cwm40.gif

Rant over

View PostJust saw this thread, silly question? how many pounds of hand torque?

View PostPS. My family has 3 jeeps. Thanks.

Not a silly answer. Your family has 3 jeeps, that means that there are 3 owners manuals. In all of them is the torque spec for each, they might not be the same.

My last and final one was a 2000GC, torque was 100-125lb

What happens when the lugs are overtightened; The wheels press against the the rotor hubs at 5 points, when the rotors get hot, the heat and stressed metal react leaving the rotors warped.

Rotors might be able to be lathe'd smooth, but over-torque the lugs again, guess what?

Lighter rotors make "less unsprung weight" but at a price nobody tells you about.