Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Right Bobbins

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

What bobbins are your favorites for tying saltwater flies?......Standard size or the longer ones?.......Metal tubes, ceramic tubes, ceramic inserts, titanium inserts?.....Rite bobbins?.......What one do you like the best besides the one that already has the thread you want to use on it?!smile.gif

Thanks,

TIM

I have one Rite Bobbin. I think it is the biggest they make. It is a little too big for me. For big flies, it is good, but for me I need a little smaller. I have extra large hands for a woman though...and long fingers. I bought a specialty spool at a sewing store thinking this bobbin would be able to handle a little longer spool, it did not. My alternative to finding a bobbin is to take an empty spool ,and respool it from the extra long spool. The Rite bobbin is a fine piece of work for the price. I love it. There is an automatic one that starts with a K...but it is a little over a hundred bucks, no way I'm paying that unless I hit the lottery.

Move to the dark side say it with me shortend norvise bobbin (shortend mine about an inch to get the spool inside my hand) it gets half the work the griffin ceramic gets the other half griffin peewee ceramics get half the fresh water work the norvise gets the other half. (I tie on a peak not a norvise.) and for the record spooling up a ten pack of spools for the norbobbin took me about 20 minutes including building my own arbor. If anyone wants to see it will save you ten bucks if you are looking at getting the setup.

I have quite a few and the ceramic tubes for me is far and beyond the best. You can put quite a bit of pressure when spinning deer hair,elk..etc. For me spinning hair is the test that determines what a bobbins worth is.

I own 6 or 8 bobbins, some ceremic, some not. I have an old Renzetti basic bobbin with a steel tube that is my favorite, probably had it for 20 years. I know steel gets a bad rap for having burrs and breaking thread, and I am sure if you get one with a burr you'ld get frustrated REAL quick. But this one I have is perfect....hope I never lose it. Otherwise I don't think you can go wrong with a $15 Dr. Slick with a ceremic tube insert.

Good luck!

Alan

I have a couple of the Rite Cermag Bobbins and I like them. They cost about twice as much as some of the other bobbins I have and I'm not sure I like them twice as much, but they are nice bobbins. It is a little more time consuming to change the thread with these, so I tend to leave the thread I use the most on them.

I have an ecclectic mix of other bobbins.....a Tiemco with a ceramic tube, a couple of Matarelli's and 2 Dr. Slicks 4" with ceramic inserts that I just purchased. Actually, I like all of these too. I'm thinking of getting another couple of bobbins that are a little longer. I may get the Dr. Slick 4-3/4" ones with either the ceramic inserts or the titanium inserts. Has anyone tried the titanium inserts? They are more expensive. I'm not sure that there would be any advantage to them over the ceramic other than they might not break if they were dropped. Any thoughts on this? Also, are there any advantages of ceramic tubes over ceramic inserts?

Thanks,

TIM

I use the Nor Vise automatic bobbin. Let me tell you once I got used to this thing I realized by far it is supperior and better and more comfortable than all others. That is just my opinion.