Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tth

Single Hooks

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Do single rear hooks have to be siwash hooks? Is the shape so critical? I have some Mustad C68S stainless steel hooks on hand. Would they work OK for replacing rear treble hooks? They are 2x heavy and 2x short. The lures already have split rings on them, so I would probably use split rings.

I searched here and found alot of information on replacing rear trebles on larger plugs, but I'm interested in replacing the hooks on smaller lures like Yozuri Crystal Minnows (3/16-3/8 oz.),small poppers, and Walk-the-Dog type of lures. What size hooks would you use for these little guys?

Thanks,

TIM

I have actually done alright with large octupus hooks on the back of plugs and metal.for some reason they seem harder to straighten than siwash or o'shaugnessy-type hooks of similar guage.It doesn't look "right" but it does work.

I use the Mustad C68S stainless steel hooks on all my plugs tail hooks now.Much stronger and as close to what came on the original Danny plug in SS as you will ever find. the 6/0 stand up to big blue fish on the back of a CC pencil popper fish after fish with out bending,after all they are tarpon hooks

FWIW I use a lot of the C68S hooks in #1 to 2/0 for fly tying and think it is a great hook. Very strong and durable and I don't see any reason it would not work on the back of plugs or metal.

Another hook I like for using on metal is the Eagle Claw 254SS. Strong stainless short shank and they have a big eye so they are easy to handle they "swing" freely with out binding up on the split ring. Pretty inexpensive too. I especially like them for smaller metal--Sting Silvers and Marias--for Spanish and Albies.

just butting in here cause i have a related question, but what do you guys do with the hooks you replace. I have a bag full of hooks I replaced and I'm not sure what I should do with them..... thanks.

Thanks everyone for your input.Finchaser, I appreciate your endorsement of the Mustad C68S SS hooks. I'm glad to hear that they're working for you. I think that I'll try using them, since I have them already and they can do double duty for fly tying and replacement hooks. I've been hearing good things in the Fly Tying Forum about the Eagle Claw 254 hooks in both the stainless steel and the lighter seaguard finish. I'll probably wind up getting some of these to try eventually also. Thanks cgg, for the tip about the eyes being larger on the EC 254's. If I run into a problem with the hook not swinging freely enough on the split rings, now I know the solution.

In searching other threads here on replacing rear treble hooks with siwash hooks, some guys said that they had a problem sometimes when a striper hit the front treble hook and then the single rear siwash hook would hook them deeply in the body. The single hook had a larger gap than the treble hooks and was hooking the fish deeper and injuring it more for catch and release. It was interesting to me that whalerguy and billthe5th are using circle and octopus hooks. That sounds like a great idea and may reduce the chance that the fish would be body hooked with the rear hook. Is that what you guys have found? I have some Mustad C71S SS circle hooks and I will probably experiment with them also.

Thanks again,

TIM

I can't recall any incidents off-hand of that rear hook causing any damage, so it might be helping.

its tough to say for sure.

more often I am using them on metal really, so it is the only hook.

I was more pointing toward that they do successfully hook the fish. I would think an octupus hook would probably foul hook about as easily as a siwash though.