Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishon8

mixing epoxy better

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

hi, i was at a few shows and noticed when i picked up some plugs they felt soft like they were not dry but did not stick to your fingers i have used defcon and etex and this happens when you do not mix the 2 parts either long enough or well enough bottom and sides.

also when you do not mix the two in equal amounts this could happen.

so builders useing the 2 part epoxies take your time mixing and equal parts is important it will pay off in the long run smile.gif Tight Lines

orrrr.... when people rush plugs or use the parks 2 part glaze.. biggrin.gif, i notice on all my plugs that have the parks on them as opposed to the etex, they feel like babys ass.

I don't mix in a cup or do large batches for this reason.

I mix on a flat piece of card stock/notecard using a small bamboo skewer that allows me to push the material around and fold it into itself.

And mix it for 2-3 minutes with plenty of blending and folding.

J

and get it nice and warm so it oozes out and mixes quickly. I put my devcon tubes in bowl of hot water for 10 - 15 minutes and it really helps for mixing them quickly.

Use a heat gun on low to gently heat it up a little before, as well as once it is on.

By reducing the viscosity, ie making it thinner, it will flow around and level out better.

Jon

View PostIt also happens if you cut the epoxy w/denatured alcohol. It will harden but takes much longer to fully cure.

Actually, if the alcohol content is over 5% by volume the epoxy will be soft no matter how long it dries.

I mix on a flat piece of card stock/notecard using a small bamboo skewer that allows me to push the material around and fold it into itself.

And mix it for 2-3 minutes with plenty of blending and folding.

I put my devcon tubes in bowl of hot water for 10 - 15 minutes and it really helps for mixing them quickly.

I do both with devcon - it makes a big difference - the heat helps it to flow better and folding while mixing keeps air bubbles down to a minimum.

My personal opinion/perception is the heat helps it to cure quicker as well. When I first stated building I'd coat plugs in teh evening, let them sit overnight and they'd be 95% cured - slightly tacky. Since I started warming the epoxy before applying my plugs are 100% dry and ready to wire by the next morning. just my observation - take it for whats its worth.

View PostActually, if the alcohol content is over 5% by volume the epoxy will be soft no matter how long it dries.

I'm sure you know more than I do... but I've gone as high as 30%. Given time and heat it gets hard. I use it that thin as a sealer.

I moved to a colder location to build recently and had to use a heat lamp to get the epoxy usable . It gets runny after a short while and mixes great. I use an index card held down by a small clip to a larger plastic work board. This allows the epoxy to be done with one hand , using a "brush picks" inter-dental plastic toothpick, it has a flattened end for mixing and scraping the card , as well as a 'brush' end that is great for detail work as a tiny brush, more like a double sided comb only miniature . one of those must haves beers.gif

OK... I KNOW this is heresy. But here goes.

I whip my etex with a paddle made of wire on my drill. The bubbles all work out on the spinner w/heat.

Sorry, I know it goes against all that is holy. But it works for me.

View PostOK... I KNOW this is heresy. But here goes.

I whip my etex with a paddle made of wire on my drill. The bubbles all work out on the spinner w/heat.

Sorry, I know it goes against all that is holy. But it works for me.

from etex instructions

Bubbles.

One of the important signs that you are mixing Envirotex Lite well enough is the appearance of bubbles while you are mixing. This is normal. Envirotex Lite has been specially formulated to de-gas itself, freeing most bubbles, automatically. Occasionally, however, bubbles will become trapped in the surface. They can be easily removed by exhaling your breath gently over the surface, or by carefully sweeping a propane torch across the liquid at a height of approximately 6-8 inches.