Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassinJ

Do Eyes On Lures Matter?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Heres a fun poll I thought I'd make. The question is simple, do eyes on lures matter? I know they don't seem to matter on many bucktails, or tins/spoons, or soft plastics, like sluggos and RonZs, so what do you think? Does a plug with eyes have a higher chance of getting bit then a plug without eyes?

Predators will key in on the eyes of forage species to help them orient their strike.

Ever notice how redfish have the false eye near the tail?

This is so if a predator strikes at the wrong "eye" they have a roughly 50% of getting away.

If the plug is designed properly, the eye can help direct the strike so the hook is inhaled on the strike.

Our water is so turbid up here in new england, I doubt it makes much of a difference to shore bound anglers. For boaters in deeper more clear water perhaps but to guys fishing from shore at night, it is very doubtful....

Do Plugs/Lures with Eyes have a higher chance to get bit, then eyeless lures?

I'm not sure about this,but my opinion is that any lure that is a subsurface type lure,eyes are beneficial.On surface lures,not so much.

I don't think eyes matter that much to the fish, but they do make a lure more attractive to the fisherman. I stop putting eyes on most of my flies and have not seen a significant difference in hook ups. My opinion is that size, shape, action and color are more important.

View PostI just put eyes on a few I made. They do look nicebiggrin.gif

And like andy said now they can see. I think mine may need contactscwm13.gif

A few of my handcarves need a cane their eyes are so bad!

I normally carry two color types of each plug one solid color and one combo color such as a bone and then a herring. I have had on numerous occasions where bass feed on one style much more heavily then the other. Plugs roll and when they roll they show their side and with a break in the color the plug has some sort of added flash which the fish may or may not like, on that particular night.

The same is true with eyes on a plug. A bass may look at a plug roll and see the eye and become more intrested or think that is unnatural that the plug has so to much action and it may lose intrest. There is a reason some builders make blind plugs and it is'nt just so them looks pretty.