Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lureboy

lathe??

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

View Postanyone know where i can get a smaller lathe for a low price??

Since your 15, i would start off in shop class, use the lathe provided by your school to see if in fact you will enjoy turning after you have learned the proper steps and techniques required. I also would start using the "SEARCH" function provided it is a wealth of free knowledgesmile.gif

A lot of people recommend future plug builders learn turning by using the high school lathe. The fact of the matter is: thanks to lawyers, most high schools don't have lathes anymore. Those types of shop classes are long since gone. And, if they did still have shop classes and lathes, your twenty minutes of lathe turning would be devoted to what they want, not what you want.

What young turners need to know, turning a plug is such a small part of plug building. As Canyondiver and MFM said in another thread, young men and inexperienced builders don't need a lathe to build plugs. Get some type of round stock, cut it to six to eight inches and learn the myriad of other tasks in plug building. When you can do these tasks and if you are lucky enough to have a rare school which still has a lathe, bring your work in and show it to your shop teacher. He will help you go to the next level. If your school does not have a lathe, like most, try to find a plug builder in your area or go to one of the many get togethers we have at SOL.

Most important to new builders: Don't just come on to Surf Talk and ask for handouts. We want you to become a part of SOL. Read old threads, talk to your dad, uncle or any adult who may have an interest in helping you out at home. Ask "how to questions", we are here to help. When you break through the seemingly tough skin on Surf Talk, you will find a bunch of softies eager to help in every way possible.

harbor freight online 79 dollars + 10 shipping - new -14x40. I picked one up but have not used it yet. It was a huge box. It came a little beat up but I will deal with it. You can get it for 89 in the store. They also have a 79 dollar drill press that would be sufficient. I hope to be building a few in the spring. I used to make lures when I was young and got out of it when I stopped Musky fishing. I can't wait to make some plugs again.

Also, I agree with what was said above. I wouldn't just go dumping a bunch of money into something. My first lures were hand carves. I used to test them in my bath tub. Most of the shapes that I thought would catch fish would be difficult to make on a lathe

Start out with kits. Get some basic how to build lures from the kits.

They have the wood. lips,ss wire and grommets all included.

After a lathe you need tools, wood ,and safety equip. It adds up quick.

The kits will help you scratch the itch.

View PostStart out with kits. Get some basic how to build lures from the kits.

They have the wood. lips,ss wire and grommets all included.

After a lathe you need tools, wood ,and safety equip. It adds up quick.

The kits will help you scratch the itch.

I agree. Its a cheap way of starting out with building and you'll learn some about how a plug is put together at the same time. If you find you enjoy it, think about taking the plunge into getting a lathe or other tools. If you search this site, you'll find several threads on how to make a hand carved plug. Very few tools needed for those.

Jigman

View PostI agree. Its a cheap way of starting out with building and you'll learn some about how a plug is put together at the same time. If you find you enjoy it, think about taking the plunge into getting a lathe or other tools. If you search this site, you'll find several threads on how to make a hand carved plug. Very few tools needed for those.

Jigman

Its the only way too go! smile.gif