Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie M

Replica swap?

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

Tagger's post about Steel Pulse's Bass Aqua sparked a thought. Would anyone be interested in doing a swap of lesser known plugs from yesteryear? I think for it to work it would need a 3-4 month lead time and for the plugs to be pretty exact replicas. So you would need the actual plug or some pretty detailed images to show dimensions etc. That might take some time to gather. Plus fishing season is around the corner.

I think it would be most interesting is we stayed away from the plugs that are already copied , like 40's, jr's and plugs like that. Like most swaps, I think 10 people is a good maximum number.

If anyone is interested or have any other ideas, lets hear them!

I agree. I don't think it will be terribly easy finding a plug to make and researching it, but I think the results will more than make up for the effort. I am sure the collector's forum will be a huge asset. Their are some great minds in there and some amazing collections. I am sure someone has a plug and could take a few dimensions and pictures to help out. A plug or two might be needed for any coaxing. wink.gif

View PostOr, since 90% of plugs made were made for Largemouth, do a saltwater version inspired by an antique plug.

Like this:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...hlight=wig+wag

I am game for a LMB lure retro fitted for saltwater action, I have been paging through "Old Fishing Lures & Tackle" 7th Edition for some time now. There are some plugs in that book that I would love to replicate.drool.gif

View PostOr, since 90% of plugs made were made for Largemouth, do a saltwater version inspired by an antique plug.

Like this:

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...hlight=wig+wag

I think that could work as well. Leave it up to the individual if they want a true replication or if they want to do an inspired plug. I just think it should be very obvious where it drew its inspiration from.

Looks like we have a bout a half dozen people interested, so lets proceed with this. icon14.gif

I've got and old plug... no idea about it. I'll post a pic. If you guys agree that it's worthy (or know anything about it) I'll make repro's and I'm in. I'll post a pic tonight.

No hard feelings if you guys don't agree. I'm not a plug collector. It's just something I got at auction one day for cheap.

Wondering how this work guys.

Since talking to Shiraka at PF I'm smitten by flaptails, but I dont' have the time to make multiples and still turn plugs for this season.

Thanks for any info,

Jon

View PostWondering how this work guys.

Since talking to Shiraka at PF I'm smitten by flaptails, but I dont' have the time to make multiples and still turn plugs for this season.

Thanks for any info,

Jon

If there were 10 guys in the swap, you would have to build 9 plugs to send to me. Then I'll distribute them to everyone in the swap. I also think that we should have a deadline for sometime in the summer since fishing season is quickly approaching and it might take some time to research the specs on some of the plugs.

I'd like to give it a shot if someone is willing to loan me a plug to copy, or point me in the right direction to finding one. Would prefer something really off the wall. I have an interest in some of these old plugs, but was never exposed to them so they are forign to me, I really don't know whats what. I was fortunate enough to see Steel Pulse's bass aqua in person, absolutly beutiful, but I'd had never even heard of one. Would love to recreate something that went out of production before I was even born.