Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
foxfai

General area with lobster pots

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Unfortunately the same structure that makes for prime lobstering locals are equally as good for stripers..Fishing in the mind fields of lines and traps is not conducive to landing any..Or getting your offering back for that matter..Though fighting a lobster pot line has been considered great sport.

The anglers are many who have done it at one time or another.

Including this one.cwm13.gif

There are times though when these areas will be free of said constraints.

You just have to find out when..

I trust you have not fished in RI...cwm13.gif

Not only to Pot Buoys signal good structure, they also will chum in bass who smell the bait bags inside the traps wink.gif

As NIB said, fishing in a minefield is condusive to loosing fish who love to wrap themselves around the pot lines.. Fish the stoutest rod you can find, 60 lb braid and 50 lb leaders with a locked drag and you might have a chance..

NIB's been to a couple of my mine fields.

View PostI trust you have not fished in RI...cwm13.gif

I have done one whole season dedicatied to the eastern part of RI. I can't tell you how much stuffs I lost, how many people have mugged the exact spot that I was standing after replacing a bait or a lure.... and so on... cwm31.gif

Anyhow, there is this jetty in RI where one side is full of pots and the other with nothing. 9 out of 10 people would fish the other side instead of the pot side.

I've lost a few lures on lobster pot lines and have always wondered if lobstermen take a hook to the hand now and again thanks to fishermen. I suppose they learn sooner or later to keep an eye on the line.

View PostI've lost a few lures on lobster pot lines and have always wondered if lobstermen take a hook to the hand now and again thanks to fishermen. I suppose they learn sooner or later to keep an eye on the line.

You would probably see it go through the block before you grabbed.. hopefully!

Snagging a jig or plug on a line sucks and what sucks even worse is having a nice fish run you under the trawl.. But what sucks EVEN WORSE... is snagging you anchor on a trawl in 80 feet of water and having to drag the trawl up to the surface by hand to get your anchor back. Happened twice last season.. Only time all year it sucked being a mate( except for having to clean up after that chic who got sick in the porta jon and forgot to open the flap to the holding tank)

But like everyone said above... shore or boat.. Lobster man know the bottom better than most and put their pot there for a reason.

That's a fish that's going to swim around with your plug and 10' of heavy braid trailing from its mouth, assuming it freed itself from the warping.

Might not be a good idea unless you are beefed-up and you keep your casts short.