Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Niffty

Landing fish on rocks

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Not necessarily jetties, but rocks. Although jetties fit the bill too. The rocks under the Montauk lighthouse come to mind.

Lets say that you are catching shorts so that even if you do have a gaff, it wouldn't be appropriate to use it. How do you land the fish without using your rod to lift it?

I also will lift the fish by the leader if it weighs much. If its very small I've not had problems lifting ith with the rod. I do try and fish only in spots where I can access the water, although its not practical 100% of the time.

View PostI'll only fish from a place/rock where I can easily and safely life the fish up and out by the leader or able to lip it.

ditto, haven't fished the lighthouse since summer of 91 or 92. fished the low rocks to the left when i did. let the waves wash the fish up into the rocks. with a one fish limit i can't see putting myself or the fish in jeopardy.

back in the seventies i gaffed and sold whatever i could so it didn't really matter

Where I fish from the rocky ledges of north shore mass it is not hooking up the fish that is the problem, it is safley landing the fish. Rock ledges with slime call for korkers ~ being aware of the wave pattern & keeping an eye out for rouge waves is a must do. Timing is everything. Some folks will use a gaff & target lower jaw but I don't - just one more thing to put a hole in me. I couldn't tell you how many nice fish I have lost in those last few seconds before I went to a heavy leader & trebles cwm31.gif are best barbless for a quick "snatch". If there is a possibility of being swept off it is prudent to wear the appropriate gear including a backup surf belt with the ability to swim away from the rockface so you are not pounded against it ~ but I am speaking of cliff faces.

I have no idea what they do in Mecca. Some folks frown when I discourage them about where I fish between parking fines & danger but twisted knees & busted tailbones can ruin your day.

Even with leader-landings, you might find you'll occasionally have to high stick the rod at the end of the fight to get a hold of the line (unless of course you are willing to let the rod butt sit on the rock as you walk up the rod with your hands...But you're putting the nice finish on your brand-new VS250 in jeapordy wink.gif).

I think if you can't always get close to the water, you need a rod beefy enough for the job, one much more tolerant to lifting a fish -- because even if you don't intend to do so, you probably will have to on occasion when you're trying to save yourself from sliding into the breaking surf.

Picking a beefier stick of course makes it less of a general surf fishing rod and more of a specialized tool, which might not meet your needs.

No trebles. It's plugs that have two sets of trebles that are the problem.

Preferably, just a single hook with no barb: Slide the fish on the rock, flick the hook with your pliers - out it comes and the fish goes on its merry way.

If your using trebles try tying three or four loops of 80 or 100 lb leader on the back of the hook on a long gaff .Then you can catch the hooks on the plug with the loops and pull it on up. Crush the barbs and it makes it easier to release the fish.