Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RightHook

NJFW Hunter Education

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I've signed up for Hunter Eduction this year to fulfill a lifetime "dream" of hunting. My dad used to go regularly, but lost his taste for it or my mom peppered him until he no longer wanted to go.

Do you need to be already be proficient at the firearm of your choice? I've shot a shotgun before but I'm nowhere near being proficient. Mostly, I've shot .22 rimfire and air rifles with which I'm a decent shot at distances up to 25 yards. Am I wasting my time? I'd heard at a local gun store that you learn how to use the firearms at the course. Is that true?

You'll be fine. Like piney said, if you wanna do archery, you'll have to supply your own gear and demonstrate some proficiency. I missed every clay on the shotgun part. They just wanna make sure we're not completely inept. Which facility is it at? I did mine at Cherry Ridge. What a nice place.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm doing it at Black River WMA because it's the closest to home. This is the year! biggrin.gif

I have a couple of friends who've offered to take me deer hunting in upstate NY and I've contacted a couple of guides for waterfowl.

Can't believe I've waited this long!

I don't have a license in any state.

I've only researched what applies to me, but I've learned that NYS recognizes NJ hunter education when purchasing a non resident license. That's my plan.

View PostI don't have a license in any state.

I've only researched what applies to me, but I've learned that NYS recognizes NJ hunter education when purchasing a non resident license. That's my plan.

I figured fishinambition would know. I hunt in PA but have been thinking about hunting in NJ, too. Can never have enough venison. drool.gif

For the most part, there's reciprocity. Have your paperwork showing that you completed the safety course and yer good. I do a little upstate hunting. Last year my name didnt show in the system and I didnt have my proof with me. The lady issued new stuff and didnt even ask about it!

View PostFor the most part, there's reciprocity. Have your paperwork showing that you completed the safety course and yer good. I do a little upstate hunting. Last year my name didnt show in the system and I didnt have my proof with me. The lady issued new stuff and didnt even ask about it!

figured as much. I actually have the NJ course on DVD here at home for my son. He still hasn't taken it. I'm going to have to get him to the PA course this year so he can go hunting this coming deer season. Last couple of years, he has bow hunted under the PA Mentored Youth program. Didn't see anything this year but last year I got 2 buck to the stand. Unfortunately, neither close enough for a shot, or so I thought. The first one was real exciting, though. I was looking out the back of the stand saw a good bit of snow fall off a tree a couple of hundred yards away. I then saw a nice Y buck rubbing his antlers on the tree. I grunted him in to what I later measured at 20 yards, close enough for a shot but at the time, I didn't let him shoot. redface.gif The buck must have winded us or caught some movement bcause he bolted. Both our hearts were pounding with excitement and we left the stand to head out to the road so I could smoke to settle down. cwm27.gif

RH, you'll do fine with the course. Good luck and enjoy yourself out there. It's great fun!

View Post

RH, you'll do fine with the course. Good luck and enjoy yourself out there. It's great fun!

Thanks very much. I'm sure I'll feel like the "old guy" at the club, but I'm committed to joining. Hopefully, I'll be able to pass this on to my girls when they're old enough - you're story about hunting with your boy is something I look forward to doing.