Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Tip of the Week - Feb 23rd

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Here's another from me;

Rubber legs are popular on fresh water nymphs and poppers. How come I never see rubber legs on salt water patterns cwm13.gif? There is an opportunity here for someone to develop the use of this material in the salt water fly world. This week's assignment, if you are brave enough to accept it is to design a saltwater fly that uses rubber legs material and post it here on SOL wink.gif .

If you have at tip to share for the tip of the week please PM me. We can all learn from your knowledge smile.gif .

Alan

Alan Caolo's Green Diablo, an impressionistic green crab imitation uses them. I am still working on this pattern and haven't tied one yet that I'm really proud of but here is an early attempt.

greendiablo1.jpg

A few days ago, I made something with chartruese estaz wrapped on the body, dumbell lead eyes and rubber legs as a tail...very simple prototype fly for me...but I'll post pics tonight anyway - when I get home from work

View PostThere's also a clouser type fly that uses those legs as the upper wing on the fly that I saw in some catalogs recently. I think.

WHAT THE??????????? Holy cannoli, a Dave S sighting!!!!! Hi Dave, hope all is well HappyWave.gif !!

Alan

Alan Caolo's Green Diablo, an impressionistic green crab imitation uses them. I am still working on this pattern and haven't tied one yet that I'm really proud of but here is an early attempt.

greendiablo1.jpg

can you post the diablo pattern? can't seem to find it anywhere

I tie lots of flies with silicone bass skirt material. Here are a few tied with silicone skirts and a little more.

[img=

Here is one I call the Creepy Crawly Redfish fly. I catch far more Redfish on this one than any other fly I tie. It catches Bass, Snook, Trout, Cobia, Trippletail and Flounder too.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/captkenroy/007-15.jpg]

That's the fly pictured. It is a very simple fly to tie. It is essentialy a wooly bugger with the addition dumbbell eyes and rubber legs in the body and tail. Not sure where I got the recipe but it would go something like this

Hook: #2 saltwater hook

Tail: olive marabou and a few strands of rubber legs a little longer than the marabou

Eye: dumbbell eye tied on just back from the eye of the hook to the top of the shank. Similar to a clouser.

Body: tie two pairs of legs figure 8 tied so they stick out to either side. Then olive chenille with an olive hackle wound up the shank pulling the legs out to the side and over the eyes. Trim the top shank ( bottom of the fly) flat.

And feed to sighted bass on the flats