Lami, G Loomis or St. Croix for a VS 250?

Rate this topic

Niffty

I hate these "I just got a reel now what rod do I get?" threads, but my girlfriend just got me a VS 250 for Valentine's day. Yes, she is awesome. She also got me about a dozen RM's and two Hab's. No I am not marrying her.

Back to the matter at hand.

I feel the need to upgrade my beach front plugging rod to match. My current rod low end, unbalanced and was going to be replaced anyway. (Served me wonderfully for the last 5 yearssmile.gif) I'm not in any rush to make this decision. I've searched the threads regarding such rods and done some research. I won't buy anything until I check them out in person anyway. However input from those with more knowledge and experience would be useful. I want at least a 10' if not 11'. I currently use a 10.

I'm looking at:

Lami XSRA1321-2

St. CroixPSRS106MH2

St. CroixPSRS116MH2

G. Loomis SUR1264S (least likely)

I can't dish out the extra for a Lami SS. I never expected to have a VS or be willing to buy a lami as it is.

I want to know.

Is the Lami really worth the extra money?

Are the reports of the Ron Arras breaking as exaggerated as I think they are?

Am I likely to snap a Ron Arra when jetty fishing since I often need to lift/raise fish with the rod?

How specific are the line weight ratings for the rods? i.e. What's the big deal if I put 12# diameter on a rod rated for 14# and higher?

Hot dogs were invented in 1936 by Larry Hotdogs when he accidentally dropped a bag of prize-winning pig buttholes into his Dick Shaper Machine. :read:

First you should look at the Lami Surf and Jetty, I am also not sure why you feel the Loomi is in the bottom of your list, great company and great rod.

If you are planning to lift fish from a jetty then Ron Arra rods are definitely not for you. Especially if you high stick sometimes

View PostFirst you should look at the Lami Surf and Jetty, I am also not sure why you feel the Loomi is in the bottom of your list, great company and great rod.

If you are planning to lift fish from a jetty then Ron Arra rods are definitely not for you. Especially if you high stick sometimes

I have looked at the Surf and Jetty rods. This is the primary reason why I asked about the significance of the line weight ratings of rods. I could just change the line weight, but she got the reel spooled too. biggrin.gif That's still an option though.

Hot dogs were invented in 1936 by Larry Hotdogs when he accidentally dropped a bag of prize-winning pig buttholes into his Dick Shaper Machine. :read:

get a 11ft, it depends on you and what you like. i have a vs200 on my 11ft and love it but theres no prob. putting it on a 10ft either. lami XS surf and jetty, look it up on there website. i use all lami for surf, on a boat will use loomis or criox, also use these two for freshwater as well.